Ignoring positive/negative values with trig substitutions?

• Thread starter process91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating \int \sqrt{1+x^2} dx using the substitution x=\tan\theta. The resulting integral is \int \sec^3 \theta d \theta, and it is questioned why it is not \int |\sec \theta| \sec^2 \theta d \theta. The answer is that the range of values for x obtained through the substitution corresponds to values for θ where sec(θ) is positive. This is an implied statement for all trig substitutions.
process91
If I wanted to integrate [itex]\int \sqrt{1+x^2} dx[/itex], I would let [itex]x=\tan\theta[/itex] , which implies [itex]dx=\sec^2 \theta dx[/itex] so that I would have:

[itex]\int \sqrt{1+x^2} dx = \int \sqrt{1 + \tan^2 \theta} \sec \theta d \theta = \int \sqrt{\sec^2 \theta}\sec^2\theta d\theta = \int \sec^3 \theta d \theta[/itex]

It is this last equality that I am questioning. Why is it not [itex]\int |\sec \theta| \sec^2 \theta d \theta[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
process91 said:
If I wanted to integrate [itex]\int \sqrt{1+x^2} dx[/itex], I would let [itex]x=\tan\theta[/itex] , which implies [itex]dx=\sec^2 \theta dx[/itex] so that I would have:

[itex]\int \sqrt{1+x^2} dx = \int \sqrt{1 + \tan^2 \theta} \sec \theta d \theta = \int \sqrt{\sec^2 \theta}\sec^2\theta d\theta = \int \sec^3 \theta d \theta[/itex]

It is this last equality that I am questioning. Why is it not [itex]\int |\sec \theta| \sec^2 \theta d \theta[/itex]?

Any value of x can be gotten by that substitution with -π/2 < θ < π/2. sec(θ) is positive in that domain.

Thanks, that does clear it up a lot. So for all trig substitutions, then, there is an implied statement about the range of values which x can take and the corresponding range of values provided by the substitution?

FAQ: Ignoring positive/negative values with trig substitutions?

What is a trig substitution?

A trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integrand with a trigonometric function in order to make the integral easier to solve.

Why do we need to ignore positive/negative values with trig substitutions?

Trig substitutions involve using inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arctangent, and arccosine. These functions have multiple values for a given input, so ignoring positive or negative values helps to ensure that the substitution is valid and the integral is evaluated correctly.

How do we know which positive/negative values to ignore?

The choice of positive or negative values to ignore depends on the specific problem and the chosen substitution. Generally, you want to choose values that will result in a simpler integral and avoid any potential issues with undefined values.

Can we always ignore positive/negative values with trig substitutions?

No, there are some cases where ignoring positive or negative values may not be appropriate. For example, if the integral involves a square root, you may need to consider both positive and negative values to ensure the substitution is valid.

Are there any alternatives to ignoring positive/negative values with trig substitutions?

Yes, there are other techniques that can be used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions, such as u-substitution or integration by parts. However, trig substitutions are a useful tool in many cases and can often make the integration process easier.