I'm an engineer, do I really need to take this math subject?

• Thread starter Linu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, a student at ANU majoring in signal processing or photonics for engineering and physics for science is unsure about taking the subject MATH2320 due to difficulties with proofs in exam situations. They question the usefulness of the subject in their fields and whether it can be picked up later on. The conversation suggests that the subject may be useful in understanding Fourier series, gaining better math skills, and opening doors to other math courses. It may also be beneficial for those pursuing a PhD in signal processing. However, it may not be necessary for all types of engineering.
Linu
Hey everyone, I'm an engineering/science student at ANU majoring in signal processing or photonics for eng and Physics for science.
I'm in a predicament because I cannot decide whether to do this subject:

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/courses/MATH2320;details.html

I have done two first year subjects which basically introduce you to proof although the assessment in exam situations was more or less technique based (I did well in the subjects.)
I am a little hesitant to do the subject as I can write solid proofs when given time to think about and articulate my thoughts, but in exam situations I have a lot of difficulty. It will be even harder to do well since exams will be completely proof based in this subject.

I am wondering exactly how useful this subject will be in my fields? Is this something I can pick up later on? What exactly will it be used for?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I've done this right, I just joined up :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering exactly how useful this subject will be in my fields? Is this something I can pick up later on? What exactly will it be used for?

I studied engineering, but switched to math, so I can't say exactly what it is useful in engineering, but as a math grad student, I can make some comments on the general usefulness of analysis. It should be noted that one of the big inspirations for the development of analysis in the 19th century was the theory of Fourier series, and signal processing involves a large amount of Fourier stuff (physics, too). If you are like me, even if you don't use it explicitly, you will find comfort in understand better why the theory works. Granted, you probably won't see the applications to Fourier series in the class. You may have to read about that on your own. A nice book which covers this stuff (particularly the role of Fourier series in the development of analysis) is Discourse on Fourier Series by Lanczos. Another book that talks about this is A Radical Approach to Real Analysis.

An additional benefit is that you will gain a better mastery of calculus and generally better math skills. It will open the door to any other math you might want to use, like maybe complex analysis. After studying so much math, the easy (and admittedly, more useful math) is now mind-numbingly trivial and easy for me. That's a PhD's worth. But if you take one class, you take one step towards that skill level.

My best advice is to ask the professors in your intended field of study. Chances are they will give you the most appropriate direction for your situation and for the expectations in your part of the world.

Anyway, I work with a lot of folks who received PhD's in signal processing. Most, if not all, took at least one real analysis course. Some took such classes during undergraduate studies while others waited until grad school. When i was in grad school all of the signal processing PhD candidates did a minor in math, so had to take 4 upper division (undergrad level) "honors" classes: 2 in real analysis, one in linear algebra, and one in abstract algebra. So yes, it can be useful, but on the other hand it may not be necessary for you to go too far down this road as an undergrad.

On the other hand, for photonics more standard math methods for physics/engineering courses (covering pdes, complex analysis, etc) are likely more useful.

good luck,

jason

Depends completely on what type of engineering you do. The vast majority of engineers wouldn't need this course.

I understand your hesitation about taking a math subject that focuses on proofs. However, I would highly recommend taking this subject as it will greatly benefit your engineering and science studies.

Math is the foundation of all scientific disciplines and is essential in understanding complex concepts and theories. While you may be able to get by with basic math skills in your first year courses, as you progress in your studies, you will encounter more advanced concepts that require a strong understanding of mathematical proofs.

In engineering and science, you will encounter situations where you need to prove the validity of your theories and designs. This math subject will provide you with the necessary skills to do so effectively. Additionally, it will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are crucial in these fields.

Furthermore, this subject will also be useful in your future career as an engineer or scientist. Many industries, such as technology, finance, and research, require individuals with strong math skills and the ability to think logically and analytically.

I understand that exams can be challenging, but with practice and dedication, you can improve your ability to write proofs under pressure. This subject may seem daunting now, but it will ultimately benefit you in the long run.

I encourage you to take this subject and make the most out of it. If you have any specific concerns or questions, don't hesitate to seek help from your professors or peers. I wish you all the best in your studies.

FAQ: I'm an engineer, do I really need to take this math subject?

1. Do I need to take this math subject if I want to become an engineer?

Yes, math is a fundamental subject for engineering. It helps you develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning, which are essential for any engineering field.

2. Can I skip this math subject and still become an engineer?

No, math subjects build upon each other, and skipping one can hinder your understanding of subsequent courses. It is essential to have a strong foundation in math to succeed in engineering.

3. How much math do I need to know to be an engineer?

The amount of math required varies depending on your engineering field. However, most engineering programs will require you to take courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics.

4. I struggle with math; will I still be able to become an engineer?

Yes, there are resources available to help you improve your math skills. Many engineering programs offer tutoring services, and there are also online resources and study groups that can assist you in understanding the material better.

5. I don't see the relevance of this math subject to engineering. Why do I need to take it?

Even if a particular math subject may not seem directly related to engineering, it is still essential to have a well-rounded understanding of math. Many concepts and principles in engineering are derived from mathematical principles, and understanding them will help you excel in your field.

Back