Im back with change subject of formula

In summary, the student is trying to solve a fraction in which the numerator and denominator are both 2 Pi. They are unsure if they are allowed to move the fraction and are lost without the help of the teacher. The student finds the answer by applying basic operations to the left and to the right of the equal sign.
fordy2707
so I've been taught basic rearranging of formula which I've found easy now I am given questions which are obviously a lot harder and I've entered the mind black hole if you could point me in the right direction with this where I go wrong

make L the subject

$f=\frac{1}{2\pi}$ $\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}$

=${f}^{2}=\frac{1}{{2\pi}^{2}}\frac{1}{LC}$

=${f}^{2}=\frac{1}{{2\pi}^{2}LC}$

above I may have already gone wrong but in my head its ok,but here on I am quite unsure if I am allowed to move the formula as I have

=${2\pi}^{2}C{f}^{2}=\frac{1}{L}$ ?? is that correct ?

then I am at a total loss as what to do with that fraction left over in my guess I am wanting make a new fraction and throw the 1 under the rest to make

L=$\frac{{2\pi}^{2}C{F}^{2}}{1}$ but this is just guess territory now as I've not been shown this type of question

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fordy2707 said:
so I've been taught basic rearranging of formula which I've found easy now I am given questions which are obviously a lot harder and I've entered the mind black hole if you could point me in the right direction with this where I go wrong

make L the subject

$f=\frac{1}{2\pi}$ $\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}$

=${f}^{2}=\frac{1}{{2\pi}^{2}}\frac{1}{LC}$

=${f}^{2}=\frac{1}{{2\pi}^{2}LC}$

above I may have already gone wrong but in my head its ok,but here on I am quite unsure if I am allowed to move the formula as I have

=${2\pi}^{2}C{f}^{2}=\frac{1}{L}$ ?? is that correct ?

then I am at a total loss as what to do with that fraction left over in my guess I am wanting make a new fraction and throw the 1 under the rest to make

L=$\frac{{2\pi}^{2}C{F}^{2}}{1}$ but this is just guess territory now as I've not been shown this type of question
There are 2 mistakes ( one is because of latex)
There are
1) ${f}^{2}=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{2}LC}$ you should put $2\pi$ in () and not in $\{\}$ because $2\pi$ should get squared
2) $L=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{2}C{f}^{2}}$

I see, so i treated $2\pi$ as 1 value where its actually 2 different values to be multiplied together .

thanks for your help,im happy with how close I got.i will write your advice into my learning material and should be able to do a sum like that on my own next time

The "trick" is, when in doubt, to apply basic operations to the left and to the right of the equal sign.
That is, multiply left and right by the same expression:

$$f^2=\frac 1{(2\pi)^2LC} \\
\Rightarrow f^2 \cdot (2\pi)^2C =\frac 1{(2\pi)^2LC} \cdot (2\pi)^2C$$

After that we can simplify the fraction by canceling common factors:
$$\Rightarrow f^2 \cdot (2\pi)^2C =\frac 1{\cancel{(2\pi)^2}L\cancel C} \cdot \cancel{(2\pi)^2}\cancel C \\
\Rightarrow(2\pi)^2f^2C =\frac 1{L}$$

Now we take the inverse $\frac 1 x$ left and right, to get:
$$\Rightarrow \frac{1}{(2\pi)^2f^2C} = L \\
\Rightarrow L = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^2f^2C}
$$

FAQ: Im back with change subject of formula

1. How does changing the subject of a formula affect the final result?

Changing the subject of a formula affects the final result by rearranging the equation to solve for a different variable. This can be useful when trying to find a specific value or when using the formula in a different context.

2. Can any formula have its subject changed?

Yes, any formula with multiple variables can have its subject changed. However, the process and difficulty of changing the subject may vary depending on the complexity of the formula.

3. Is changing the subject of a formula the same as solving for a variable?

No, changing the subject and solving for a variable are two different processes. Changing the subject involves rearranging the equation to solve for a different variable, while solving for a variable involves finding the value of a specific variable in the equation.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when changing the subject of a formula?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when changing the subject of a formula. These steps include identifying the variable to solve for, isolating that variable on one side of the equation using inverse operations, and simplifying the equation to get the final result.

5. How can changing the subject of a formula be applied in real-world situations?

Changing the subject of a formula can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating interest rates, converting units, and solving for unknown values in scientific equations. It can also be used in problem-solving and making predictions in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Back