I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the girl sustained severe shock after being struck by lightning and it is unknown if she has been injured or not.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off!"

Lightning: Into the foot, and out the nose ring
http://www.breitbart.tv/html/129203.html
[apparently]

The sad thing is that although this girl and her mother think she's alright, severe shock victims can first exhibit symptoms of cellular damage, and other damage to organs, long after the initial event. From what I understand, there is no way to know if she has been severely injured or not, for years to come.

Once upon a time, telephones were one of the most common conduits for lightning strikes. A strike could hit the phone line some distance away, and direct the energy right into one's ear and brain. Wireless phones have pretty much eliminated that problem, but now we sit at computers that are often plugged in for power. Whenever I hear a lightning storm approaching, I unplug and disconnect the DSL.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

As long as she's still cute.

Ivan Seeking said:
Whenever I hear a lightning storm approaching, I unplug and disconnect the DSL.

yup...I was sitting next to my computer during a lightning storm once. Everything was on...and then all of a sudden...a discharge occurred straight from my monitor. I wasn't in the path...though it still shocked the hell out of me.

Gear300 said:
though it still shocked the hell out of me.

:smile:

Why would you want to turn on the garden hose after a storm? I'm glad she's not seriously hurt.

I always unplug my computer and wait with doing the dishes until a lightning storm has passed.

Monique,you shouldn't be doing dishes during a storm with lightening. If your home or apartment should get hit, water may conduct the bolt right to you. Please read
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/more.htm Look under the Myths heading. No showers either.

Last edited by a moderator:

hypatia said:
Monique,you shouldn't be doing dishes during a storm with lightening.
That's why I don't :smile:

Last night there was a lightning storm and I hesitated whether to go and brush my teeth, I was really tired so I did, but with some apprehension.

I'm sorry I miss read what you posted:redface: lol Maybe I need that second cup of coffee after all.

Wow, I didn't know about any of this. I carry on as usual and hope to Science my power doesn't go out because then I'll be bored. :(

Monique said:
Why would you want to turn on the garden hose after a storm? I'm glad she's not seriously hurt.

I always unplug my computer and wait with doing the dishes until a lightning storm has passed.

When I was a kid, lightning struck a tree next to our house. My mother was standing at the sink and was hit by ~ 2 foot long electric streamers coming from the faucet. Luckily she wasn't hurt, but I have never seen her jump so high since. :biggrin:

We get thunder and lightning around here but for some reason it is rarely anywhere near us. Maybe it stays mostlhy out to ocean or in fields.

Related to I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off

1. What does the phrase "I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off" mean?

The phrase "I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off" is an expression used to express relief or gratitude that something did not turn out worse than it could have. It is often used figuratively to describe a situation that could have been dangerous or harmful, but ended up being relatively harmless.

2. Is there any scientific basis for this phrase?

No, this phrase is purely figurative and does not have any scientific basis. It is simply an expression used in colloquial language to convey a feeling or emotion.

3. Where did this phrase originate from?

The exact origin of this phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated from the phrase "blow one's nose off", which was used to describe a dangerous or risky situation. Over time, the phrase evolved into its current form.

4. Can this phrase be used in a literal sense?

No, this phrase is only used in a figurative sense and should not be taken literally. It is important to understand the context in which it is used and not interpret it as a literal statement.

5. Are there any similar phrases in other languages?

Yes, there are similar expressions in other languages that convey a similar sentiment. For example, in Spanish, the expression "menos mal que no me explotó la nariz" translates to "I'm glad my nose didn't explode". However, the specific phrase "I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off" may not have an exact translation in other languages.

Back