I'm having difficulty proving this is a group under multiplication

In summary: So an-1 is also in G.In summary, the conversation is about a problem with complex numbers and their properties as a group under multiplication. The original poster had a question about the subgroup test and whether their solution was correct. They also mentioned a mix-up with images in a previous post. Other posters joined in the discussion, pointing out mistakes and clarifying concepts. The conversation ended with a summary of the properties of complex numbers as a group under multiplication.
jdinatale

Homework Statement

asddsadas.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The above is my work. The problem is trying to make sure the inverse is element of the subgroup.

Any leads? Also, was I correct in solving for x and y in that fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
SammyS said:
Why are you re-posting this problem by starting a new thread?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=543779"

The two images got mixed up with photobucket (they had the same file name, so they showed up in both threads), but they were two different problems. I just fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jdinatale! :smile:

I'm afraid ℂ is not a group under multiplication.
Perhaps you meant ℂ*?Then you're referring to the Subgroup Test.

I quote wiki: "Let G be a group and let H be a nonempty subset of G. If for all a and b in H, ab-1 is in H, then H is a subgroup of G."

This does not appear to what you have done.

Since we're talking ℂ*, you can use (ab-1)n = an/bn.

I like Serena said:
Hi jdinatale! :smile:

I'm afraid ℂ is not a group under multiplication.
Perhaps you meant ℂ*?

Then you're referring to the Subgroup Test.

I quote wiki: "Let G be a group and let H be a nonempty subset of G. If for all a and b in H, ab-1 is in H, then H is a subgroup of G."

This does not appear to what you have done.

Since we're talking ℂ*, you can use (ab-1)n = an/bn.

I'm not sure what the notation ℂ* means, but the complex numbers ARE a group under multiplication. I even wrote a proof of it. Plus my professor verified it:

dookie.jpg

As far as the subgroup test - my book presents a logically equivalent version of the subgroup test. It states, paraphrased that if a subset H of a group G meets the following criteria, then H is a subgroup of G
i) H is nonempty
ii) for all a, b in H, ab is in H
iii) for all a in H, a^-1 is in H

Which is equivalent to the subgroup test on wikipedia.

jdinatale said:
I'm not sure what the notation ℂ* means, but the complex numbers ARE a group under multiplication. I even wrote a proof of it. Plus my professor verified it:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/jdinatale/dookie.jpg"

What is the inverse of 0?
ℂ* or ℂx is the set ℂ with all non-invertible elements removed.
jdinatale said:
As far as the subgroup test - my book presents a logically equivalent version of the subgroup test. It states, paraphrased that if a subset H of a group G meets the following criteria, then H is a subgroup of G
i) H is nonempty
ii) for all a, b in H, ab is in H
iii) for all a in H, a^-1 is in H

Which is equivalent to the subgroup test on wikipedia.

Yes, that is equivalent.

Note that you can use (ab)n=anbn without proving it, since it is a property of ℂ.
Same thing for (a-1)n=1/an as long as a≠0.

Last edited by a moderator:
jdinatale said:

Uuuh, find another professor? Seriously...

Your "group" does not have an inverse. There is no complex number x such that 0x=1.

I like Serena said:
What is the inverse of 0?
ℂ* or ℂx is the set ℂ with all non-invertible elements removed.

Yes, that is equivalent.

Note that you can use (ab)n=anbn without proving it, since it is a property of ℂ.
Same thing for (a-1)n=1/an as long as a≠0.

micromass said:
Uuuh, find another professor? Seriously...

Your "group" does not have an inverse. There is no complex number x such that 0x=1.

Thanks, you guys are absolutely right! Seriously, my professor told me that the complex numbers were a group under multiplication, and that I didn't even need to prove it as a lemma when writing proofs for next time. I turned in the very lemma I posted above, and he didn't even mark off!

But anyways, back to the original problem. (a-1)n=1/an = an - 1. My difficulty lies in proving that an - 1 is an element of G.

jdinatale said:
Thanks, you guys are absolutely right! Seriously, my professor told me that the complex numbers were a group under multiplication, and that I didn't even need to prove it as a lemma when writing proofs for next time. I turned in the very lemma I posted above, and he didn't even mark off!

But anyways, back to the original problem. (a-1)n=1/an = an - 1. My difficulty lies in proving that an - 1 is an element of G.

If a is in G, then an - 1 = 0, so an = 1 and a ≠ 0.

(a-1)n - 1 = 1/an - 1 = 1/1 - 1 = 0

So a-1 is also in G.
EDIT: As for an-1:
(an-1)n - 1 = (an)n-1 - 1 = 1n-1 - 1 = 0

Last edited:

Related to I'm having difficulty proving this is a group under multiplication

1. What is a group under multiplication?

A group under multiplication is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation (usually denoted as *) that follows four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. In simpler terms, it is a set of numbers or objects that can be combined using multiplication and still remain within the same set.

2. How do you prove that something is a group under multiplication?

To prove that a set of elements is a group under multiplication, you need to show that it satisfies the four properties mentioned above. This can be done by checking if the operation is closed (the result of multiplying any two elements in the set is also in the set), associative (the order of multiplication does not matter), has an identity element (there exists an element in the set that when multiplied with any other element, gives back the same element), and has inverse elements (every element in the set has a unique element that, when multiplied together, gives the identity element).

3. What are some common difficulties in proving that something is a group under multiplication?

One common difficulty is when the set is infinite, making it impossible to check all possible combinations of elements. In these cases, you may need to use mathematical tools such as induction or proof by contradiction to show that the properties hold. Another difficulty can be when the set is not closed under the operation, meaning the result of multiplying two elements is not in the set. In this case, the set cannot be a group under multiplication.

4. Can a set be a group under multiplication with a different operation?

Yes, a set can be a group under a different operation, as long as it satisfies the four properties mentioned earlier. For example, a set of numbers can form a group under addition, subtraction, or even a more complex operation like matrix multiplication.

5. Why is it important to prove that something is a group under multiplication?

Proving that a set is a group under multiplication is essential in understanding its structure and properties. Groups are used in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, cryptography, and geometry. Additionally, proving that something is a group can lead to the discovery of new mathematical concepts and theorems.