(Im)possibility to prove the Goodstein's theorem

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Goodstein theorem does not necessarily require transfinite induction for its proof, but it can be proved by ordinary induction on a statement involving quantification over sets.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am interested to know, possibly in non-technical lay terms, which axioms are really needed to prove the Goodstein's theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodstein's_theorem
and/or other theorems of that type.

It is claimed that it cannot be proved in first order arithmetic. My first question is: What exactly is missing in first order arithmetic which is needed to prove the theorem? Is it perhaps the induction axiom?

The theorem has been proved by using trans-finite numbers. But that's very strange, given that the theorem talks only about finite numbers. My second question is: Can the theorem be proved without using trans-finite numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the wiki article on Peano axioms they say that adding the multiply operation allows them to drop the second order axiom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms

The Peano axioms contain three types of statements. The first axiom asserts the existence of at least one member of the set "number". The next four are general statements about equality; in modern treatments these are often not taken as part of the Peano axioms, but rather as axioms of the "underlying logic".[3] The next three axioms are first-order statements about natural numbers expressing the fundamental properties of the successor operation. The ninth, final axiom is a second order statement of the principle of mathematical induction over the natural numbers. A weaker first-order system called Peano arithmetic is obtained by explicitly adding the addition and multiplication operation symbols and replacing the second-order induction axiom with a first-order axiom schema.

Thanks for the remark, but I don't see how is this related to the (im)possibility to prove the Goodstein theorem.

Demystifier said:
Thanks for the remark, but I don't see how is this related to the (im)possibility to prove the Goodstein theorem.

I was answering your simpler question regarding the induction principle.

Perhaps others here can comment on your larger question.

I have just found the answer to my question:
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/134590/goodsteins-theorem-without-transfinite-induction

So more-or-less as I expected, "Goodstein's theorem does not necessarily require transfinite induction for its proof, but it's not provable in elementary arithmetic. It can be proved by ordinary induction on a statement involving quantification over sets."

Which leads me to the next question:
Is there a known natural (non-self-referential) statement in second-order arithmetic which can neither be proved nor disproved in second-order arithmetic?

Last edited:

Related to (Im)possibility to prove the Goodstein's theorem

1. What is Goodstein's theorem?

Goodstein's theorem is a mathematical statement that states that every Goodstein sequence eventually terminates at 0, no matter how large the starting number is. It is a variation of the famous Collatz conjecture.

2. Why is it difficult to prove Goodstein's theorem?

Goodstein's theorem is difficult to prove because it deals with infinite numbers and infinite sequences, which are abstract concepts that are hard to grasp and manipulate. Additionally, the proof requires advanced mathematical concepts such as transfinite numbers and ordinal arithmetic.

3. Has anyone been able to prove or disprove Goodstein's theorem?

As of now, Goodstein's theorem remains unproven. In 1994, Kirby and Paris published a paper claiming to have disproved the theorem, but their proof has since been shown to be flawed. Many mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove the theorem, but it remains an open problem in mathematics.

4. What are the implications of proving Goodstein's theorem?

If Goodstein's theorem were to be proven, it would provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of infinite sequences and their eventual termination. It could also potentially lead to new insights and developments in the field of ordinal arithmetic.

5. Is there any practical application of Goodstein's theorem?

Goodstein's theorem may not have any direct practical applications, but the research and techniques used in attempting to prove it can lead to new discoveries and advancements in mathematics and other fields. Additionally, it serves as a challenging problem for mathematicians to work on and can inspire new ideas and approaches in problem-solving.