I'm trying to find all functions such that Re(f(z)) + Im(f(z)) = 0, or

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, there are many functions that satisfy the condition Re(f(z)) + Im(f(z)) = 0, including constant functions and functions of the form f(z) = F(z)(1+ i), where F is any real valued function of z. This can be proven by decomposing a function into its even and odd components and adding them together. This trick can also be used in other contexts, such as decomposing matrices into symmetric and anti-symmetric parts.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
I'm trying to find all functions such that Re(f(z)) + Im(f(z)) = 0, or in other words...

[tex]Re(f(z)) = \left(\frac{1}{2} + \frac{i}{2}\right) f(z)[/tex]

Obviously f(z) = 0 fits this. But is there an analytic way to either prove that this is the only function, or find others?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Char. Limit said:
I'm trying to find all functions such that Re(f(z)) + Im(f(z)) = 0, or in other words...

Obviously f(z) = 0 fits this. But is there an analytic way to either prove that this is the only function, or find others?

There are lots of others; for example, f(z) = 1 - i. In fact, f(z) = a - bi works, provided that a + b = 0.

For f(z) = 1 - i,
Re(f(z)) = 1 and (1/2)(1 + i) f(z) = (1/2)(1 + i)(1 - i) = (1/2)(1 + 1) = 1

Char. Limit said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to find such functions? The space of functions in the set would probably be huge.

All of Mark44's examples were constant functions but, obviously, such things as
f(z)= Re(z)+ Re(z)i, f(z)= Im(z)+ Im(z)i, or, more generally, f(z)= F(Re(z))(1+ i) or f(z)= F(Im(z))(1+ i), where F is any real valued function of a real variable, would work.

I think the most general form would be f(z)= F(z)(1+ i) where F can be any real valued function of z.

Mark44 said:
There are lots of others; for example, f(z) = 1 - i. In fact, f(z) = a - bi works, provided that a + b = 0.

For f(z) = 1 - i,
Re(f(z)) = 1 and (1/2)(1 + i) f(z) = (1/2)(1 + i)(1 - i) = (1/2)(1 + 1) = 1

HallsofIvy said:
f(z)= Re(z)+ Re(z)i, f(z)= Im(z)+ Im(z)i, or, more generally, f(z)= F(Re(z))(1+ i) or f(z)= F(Im(z))(1+ i), where F is any real valued function of a real variable, would work.

I think the most general form would be f(z)= F(z)(1+ i) where F can be any real valued function of z.

Awesome, thanks. You guys are always a great help.

chiro said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to find such functions? The space of functions in the set would probably be huge.

I was just curious, I guess. I think of questions like this sometimes.

HallsofIvy said:

Don't you mean f(z)=F(z)(1-i), since we want that Re(f(z))=-Im(f(z)). Or am I really saying stupid things right now??

I just had a totally unrelated question, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it...

Is it possible for us to decompose a function into two functions, one even and one odd, that are added together? And how would this be done?

Sorry if that isn't clear...

Char. Limit said:
I just had a totally unrelated question, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it...

Is it possible for us to decompose a function into two functions, one even and one odd, that are added together? And how would this be done?

Sorry if that isn't clear...

Yes!

[tex]f(x)=\frac{f(x)+f(-x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)-f(-x)}{2}[/tex]

Remember this trick well, you will meet it again in different contexts!

micromass said:
Yes!

[tex]f(x)=\frac{f(x)+f(-x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)-f(-x)}{2}[/tex]

Remember this trick well, you will meet it again in different contexts!

Wow, this is useful. I just checked it with the exponential function, and found that what sinh(x) and cosh(x) actually are are the odd and even components of e^x... fascinating!

The same trick can also be used to prove the following:

Show that any matrix A can be written as A=B+C, where B is symmetric and C is anti-symmetric (i.e. [tex]{}^tC=-C[/tex])

Indeed, decompose

[tex]A=\frac{A+{}^tA}{2}+\frac{A-{}^tA}{2}[/tex]

Or, show that any complex matrix A can be written as A=B+iC, where B and C are hermitian.

As you see, the same trick works in a variety of situations :biggrin:

FAQ: I'm trying to find all functions such that Re(f(z)) + Im(f(z)) = 0, or

1. What does Re(f(z)) and Im(f(z)) represent in this equation?

Re(f(z)) represents the real part of the complex function f(z) and Im(f(z)) represents the imaginary part of the function. In other words, Re(f(z)) is the function's output on the real number line and Im(f(z)) is the function's output on the imaginary number line.

2. How do I solve for all functions that satisfy this equation?

This equation can be solved by first setting Re(f(z)) equal to x and Im(f(z)) equal to y. Then, by substituting these values into the equation, you can find the relationship between x and y. From there, you can use your knowledge of complex numbers and algebra to manipulate the equation and find all possible functions.

3. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, there are infinite combinations of functions that can satisfy this equation. It is important to specify any additional constraints or conditions to narrow down the possible solutions.

4. Are there any real-life applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of electrical circuits, analyze the motion of objects with both real and imaginary components, and solve for complex financial transactions.

5. Can this equation be solved numerically?

Yes, this equation can be solved numerically using computational methods such as numerical integration or approximation algorithms. However, the accuracy of the solution may depend on the complexity of the function and the precision of the numerical method used.