Could a Dehydrated Earth Create Light Disturbances on KIC 8462852?

In summary, Google Images provides images of Earth without water. The significant of water to Earth surface is that the ocean depth is 10 km, which is only 0.17% of the Earth's radius.
Dryson1
I was wondering if there are any images of the Earth in 3D and flat, side projection that would show what the Earth looked like with all of the water removed and only the deep troughs and high plateau's remaining?

The reason I ask is in reference to KIC 8462852. Would it be possible for a large planet with all of the water evaporating or sublimated where the troughs and high plateau's left behind create enough of light disturbance when passing across in front of KIC to catch Kepler's attention?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Dryson1 said:
I was wondering if there are any images of the Earth in 3D and flat, side projection that would show what the Earth looked like with all of the water removed and only the deep troughs and high plateau's remaining?

The reason I ask is in reference to KIC 8462852. Would it be possible for a large planet with all of the water evaporating or sublimated where the troughs and high plateau's left behind create enough of light disturbance when passing across in front of KIC to catch Kepler's attention?

Google Images is your friend... :smile:

I started to type Earth With No Water into Google Images, and it beat me to it. By the time I had typed Earth With... Google Images auto-suggested Earth Without Water. Give it a try... :smile:

Likes phoenix95
What is the significant of water to Earth surface?
Consider this. The Earth diameter is 6000 km. And the average ocean depth is 3KM.
Okay, take Mariana Trench, 10km for example. It's only 0.17% its radius.
And in this picture
http://www.123rf.com/photo_7977199_...trophe-a-fantastic-assumption-of-the-fut.html
Earth Without Water - Small.JPG

And we can see clearly South America.
The one below, it must be South Pole and at the right side a small glimpse of South Africa and I think some of Siera Leone, according to world map that we study.
It's this South America that I'd like to ask.
Suppose if the ocean water depth is 10 km, take the maximum depth and compare it with Earth radius, 6000km, it's only 0.17%. Why South America is clearly visible?
Is there some mechanism in Earth continent that along its border with water, the sea floor rise somewhat vertical?
I would have imagined Earth without water is somewhat unrecognizable. Or is this is picture is not correct?
Another video for Earth without water that I find in YouTube

Likes Derek Francis
wow...

Likes CollinsArg

Related to Could a Dehydrated Earth Create Light Disturbances on KIC 8462852?

1. What would Earth look like without water?

Without water, Earth would appear as a barren and desolate planet with dry, cracked land masses and no visible bodies of water. The vibrant blue color that we associate with Earth would be absent, giving the planet a dull and lifeless appearance.

2. How would the absence of water affect Earth's climate?

The absence of water would significantly impact Earth's climate. Without the water cycle, there would be no precipitation or evaporation, leading to extreme temperatures and weather patterns. The lack of water would also eliminate the moderating effect it has on Earth's temperature, making the planet much hotter during the day and colder at night.

3. What would happen to Earth's ecosystems without water?

Without water, most ecosystems on Earth would collapse. Water is essential for the survival of plants, animals, and microorganisms, and without it, these organisms would not be able to survive. The loss of water would also disrupt the food chain and lead to mass extinctions of many species.

4. How would the absence of water affect human life on Earth?

Human life on Earth would be impossible without water. We rely on water for drinking, cooking, agriculture, and many other essential activities. Without water, our bodies would quickly dehydrate, and we would not be able to grow food or sustain our current way of life.

5. Is there any evidence of Earth without water?

While scientists cannot directly observe Earth without water, there is evidence that suggests that the planet may have been much drier in the past. For example, there is evidence of ancient oceans that have dried up, and some studies suggest that Mars may have once had significant amounts of water, but it has since disappeared. These clues give us a glimpse of what Earth may have looked like without water.