Imaginary Numbers/Mesh Analysis

In summary: That would be a mistake. Instead, to solve this type of circuit, you would use the Laplace transform.
dwn

Homework Statement

Image Attached

Homework Equations

Impedance/Reactance
Mesh Analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

KVL
-V + 2I1 + 4.7(I1 - I2) + j2(I1 - I3) = 0
4.7(I2 - I1) - j0.056(I2) + 2(I2 - I3) = 0
j2(I3 - I1) + 2(I3 - I2) + I3 = 0

(4.7 + j2)I1 - 4.7I2 - j2(I3) = 4V
4.7(I2-I1) - j0.056(I2) + 2(I2 - I3) = 0
-j2(I1) - 2I2 + (3 - j2)I3 = 0

Solve the second and third equation for I2 and I3, respectively.
I2 = (4.7I1 + 2I3)/(6.7 - j0.056)
I3 = (2(I2) + j2(I1)) / (3 - j2)

Substitute I3 into I2, in order to eliminate one of the variables.

(4.7I1 + 2(2I2 + j2(I1)/(3 - j2)) / (6.7 - j0.056)

This is where things get a little confusing for me, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I was going to multiply by the conjugate in order to simplify the equation, but am I able to do this with 2 variables (I1 and I2)?? I did it for the equation I3.

Also, is it possible to calculate this within Matlab? I know how to reduce linear equation (rref), but not sure how to account for the imaginary values (j) and the multiple currents (I1, I2, and I3). Any tips please? Hope it is easy to follow. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 3.50.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 3.50.37 PM.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Would I be better off converting the rectangular form to phasor form to make the calculation easier? I remember in class our professor mentioned addition and subtraction rectangular is convenient and polar when using multiplication and division.

First thing you do is label the componrnts R1, R2, R3, L and C. Don't work in numbers. You lose dimensional information and you're almost sure to make a math error.

Repost your KVL equations.

ω = 20
L = jwL = j2
C = -j/(wL) = -j0.056

Revised KVL
R1 = 2 R2 = 4.7 R3 = 2 R4 = 1

-V + (R1 * I1) + R2(I1 - I2) + L(I1 - I3) = 0
R2(I2 - I1) + CI2 + R3(I2 - I3) = 0
L(I3 - I1) + R3(I3 - I2) + I3*R4 = 0
==================================
I1((R1+R2) + L) - (R2*I2) - LI3 = V
(-R2*I1) + I2((R1+R2) + C) - 2I3 = 0
(-L*I1) - RI2 + I3((R3 +R4)+L) = 0
I1(6.7 + j2) - 4.7I2 - j2(I3) = 4∠0°
-4.7I1 + I2(6.7 - j0.056) - 2I3 = 0
-j2I1 - 2I2 + I3(3+j2) = 0

Is it best to convert these values to polar coordinates and then solve?

Last edited:
when converting j2 of the first equation into polar coordinates..specifically tan^-1(2/0). Do we define this as: 0∠90° ?
ThanksEDIT

I was able to solve the problem...but there must be a better way? Is there a shortcut to avoid "plugging and chugging"?

Last edited:
dwn said:
when converting j2 of the first equation into polar coordinates..specifically tan^-1(2/0). Do we define this as: 0∠90° ?
Thanks

To tell you the truth I use s=jw so there are no complex quantities involved in KCL or KVL or (what I use) sum of currents at each independent junction = 0 which is almost KVL. But that's because I'm familiar with the Laplace transform. Professional EE's all do that.
EDIT

I was able to solve the problem...but there must be a better way? Is there a shortcut to avoid "plugging and chugging"?

This is a pretty complex circuit so I'd say you did it the best way. Don't forget to use software for solving boring simultaneous equations. Again, with s=jw you don't have to worry about taking complex conjugates etc.

Likes 1 person
dwn said:
ω = 20
L = jwL = j2
C = -j/(wL) = -j0.056

Revised KVL
R1 = 2 R2 = 4.7 R3 = 2 R4 = 1

-V + (R1 * I1) + R2(I1 - I2) + L(I1 - I3) = 0
R2(I2 - I1) + CI2 + R3(I2 - I3) = 0
L(I3 - I1) + R3(I3 - I2) + I3*R4 = 0
I1((R1+R2) + L) - (R2*I2) - LI3 = V
(-R2*I1) + I2((R1+R2) + C) - 2I3 = 0
(-L*I1) - RI2 + I3((R3 +R4)+L) = 0
I1(6.7 + j2) - 4.7I2 - j2(I3) = 4∠0°
-4.7I1 + I2(6.7 - j0.056) - 2I3 = 0
-j2I1 - 2I2 + I3(3+j2) = 0

Is it best to convert these values to polar coordinates and then solve?

Definitely not. You're adding and subtacting terms.

Related to Imaginary Numbers/Mesh Analysis

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form of a square root of a negative number. They are represented by the letter "i" and are commonly used in mathematics to solve problems that involve negative numbers under a square root.

2. How do imaginary numbers relate to real numbers?

Imaginary numbers are a subset of complex numbers, which includes both real and imaginary numbers. Real numbers are those that can be expressed on a number line, while imaginary numbers do not have a corresponding point on a number line. However, imaginary numbers can be combined with real numbers to form complex numbers.

3. What is mesh analysis and how is it used?

Mesh analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits. It involves breaking down a circuit into smaller "meshes" or loops, and applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to calculate the current flowing through each mesh. This method is commonly used in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can imaginary numbers be used in real world applications?

Yes, imaginary numbers have various real world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving alternating currents, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism, among others.

5. What are some common misconceptions about imaginary numbers?

One common misconception about imaginary numbers is that they are not "real" numbers. However, imaginary numbers are just as valid and useful as real numbers in mathematics and science. Another misconception is that imaginary numbers are difficult to understand, but with practice and understanding of the fundamentals, they can be easily applied to solve complex problems.