Impact parameter of a photon in Schwarzchild metric

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a photon will graze the surface of a massive sphere given an impact parameter. The speaker uses geodesic equations and lightlike separation to solve the problem and ultimately arrives at the correct solution.
Big Guy
Hi, I'm having trouble answering Question 9.20 in Hobson's book (Link: http://tinyurl.com/pjsymtd). This asks to prove that a photon will just graze the surface of a massive sphere if the impact parameter is [tex]b = r(\frac{r}{r-2\mu})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

So far I have used the geodeisic equations [tex](1-\frac{2\mu}{r})\dot{t} = k[/tex] and [tex]r^2\dot{\phi} = h[/tex] to give [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{b(1-\frac{2\mu}{r})}{r^2}[/tex] and b = h/k due to the argument given here http://www.physicspages.com/2013/06/13/photon-equations-of-motion/

This is extremely close to the actual result but I can't figure out why [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\frac{1}{b}[/tex].

Any help? Thank you!

I solved it myself. The metric for lightlike separation implies [tex] g_{00}\dot{t}^2 +g_{11}\dot{r}^2+g_{22}\dot{\phi}^2 =0[/tex] and we have expressions for phi dot and t dot from the OP. Just plug them in and since the expression is true everywhere we evaluate it on the surface of the star i.e where motion is purely tangential -> r dot is zero. So we just arrange the above equation for b = h/k to get the required answer.

FAQ: Impact parameter of a photon in Schwarzchild metric

1. What is the impact parameter of a photon in Schwarzchild metric?

The impact parameter of a photon in Schwarzchild metric is the closest distance that a photon can approach a massive object (such as a black hole) and still escape its gravitational pull. It is a measure of how much the path of the photon is bent by the gravitational field of the object.

2. How is the impact parameter of a photon calculated in Schwarzchild metric?

The impact parameter is calculated using the formula b = L/E, where L is the angular momentum of the photon and E is its energy. This calculation takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by the massive object.

3. What is the significance of the impact parameter in understanding the behavior of photons near massive objects?

The impact parameter is important in understanding how the gravitational field of a massive object affects the path of a photon. It can determine whether a photon will be captured by the object or escape its gravitational pull.

4. How does the impact parameter change for different masses of objects in Schwarzchild metric?

The impact parameter increases as the mass of the object decreases. This means that a photon would need to be closer to a less massive object to be captured by its gravitational pull, compared to a more massive object.

5. Can the impact parameter of a photon be measured or observed in real-world situations?

Yes, the impact parameter can be indirectly measured or observed through the bending of light around massive objects, such as during a solar eclipse. It can also be calculated using gravitational lensing, where the light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational field of a closer object.