Imperfection moment of columns

In summary, the conversation discusses Prokon column design and the calculation of imperfection moment in a slender column. The imperfection moment is found to be asymmetric due to the rectangular shape of the column. The use of design standards and references is suggested for obtaining the exact value of imperfection moment.
dccd
Homework Statement:: Anyone familiar with prokon column design ? I have no idea how the program caluculate the imperfection moment in the slender column (braced/unbraced...
Relevant Equations:: I have attached an example here , it's an unbraced slender column here. Why the imperfection moment about y-axis and y-axis arent the same ? X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the schoolwork forums to ME since it is a general question]

I think it's wrong, imperfection moment should be the same for both axis , at intermediate height, top , bottom of column, correct me if I am wrong. ...

https://we.tl/t-Fw9Tvf8fhL

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
dccd said:
Homework Statement:: Anyone familiar with prokon column design ? I have no idea how the program caluculate the imperfection moment in the slender column (braced/unbraced...
Relevant Equations:: I have attached an example here , it's an unbraced slender column here. Why the imperfection moment about y-axis and y-axis arent the same ? X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,

I think it's wrong, imperfection moment should be the same for both axis , at intermediate height, top , bottom of column, correct me if I am wrong. ...

https://we.tl/t-Fw9Tvf8fhL
Can you just attach a PDF of that file? (Click "Attach files" below the Edit window) I'm getting strange notifications when I try to click on that link. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Can you just attach a PDF of that file? (Click "Attach files" below the Edit window) I'm getting strange notifications when I try to click on that link. Thanks.

Here you go ..The uploading speed was extremely slow when I was trying to upload the file.

Attachments

• unbraced slender.pdf
    667.9 KB · Views: 273
dccd said:
X axis imperfection moment = 0.85kNm, while the y-axis imperfection moment is 4.41kNm,
Because the column is rectangular, the slenderness is asymmetric, and so the imperfection moment is asymmetric.

Baluncore said:
Because the column is rectangular, the slenderness is asymmetric, and so the imperfection moment is asymmetric.
Do you know how to get the exact value
?

dccd said:
Do you know how to get the exact value ?
The Prokon design software must reference the standards and design rules it follows.
You should look for the design references on which the Prokon software is based.

Related to Imperfection moment of columns

1. What is the imperfection moment of columns?

The imperfection moment of columns refers to the maximum moment that a column can withstand before buckling or failing. It is a critical factor in determining the stability and strength of a column under various loads.

2. How is the imperfection moment of columns calculated?

The imperfection moment of columns is calculated using various equations and formulas, such as the Euler buckling equation and the effective length factor. These calculations take into account factors such as the column's geometry, material properties, and loading conditions.

3. What factors can affect the imperfection moment of columns?

The imperfection moment of columns can be affected by several factors, including the column's length, cross-sectional shape, material properties, and boundary conditions. Changes in any of these factors can significantly impact the column's ability to resist buckling.

4. Why is it important to consider the imperfection moment of columns in structural design?

The imperfection moment of columns is a crucial factor in structural design because it determines the column's ultimate strength and stability. Neglecting to consider this factor can result in structural failure or inadequate performance of the column under different loading conditions.

5. How can the imperfection moment of columns be improved?

The imperfection moment of columns can be improved by using stronger and more durable materials, increasing the column's cross-sectional area, and providing proper bracing and support. Following proper design guidelines and considering all relevant factors can also help improve the imperfection moment of columns.