Implementing Arbitrary Unitary Ops with C-NOT & Gray Codes

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
In summary: This is not an issue in modern electronics, but still a good reason for its historical use.In summary, Gray codes are used in quantum circuits to implement arbitrary two-level unitary operations due to their historical use in electromechanical switches and their ability to prevent transient spikes in outputs during state switching.
jimmycricket
I am trying to derive a quantum circuit that will implement an arbitrary unitary operation using single qubit gates and C-NOT gates only. I have already shown how to construct a controlled U operation where U is a single qubit unitary operation. Furthermore I have proven the universality of two-level unitary matrices. Now I wish to show that any two level unitary operation can be performed using C-NOT and controlled U operations. To do this I must introduce gray codes. I understand that a gray code is a sequence of binary strings [itex]\{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}[/itex] where neighbouring members differ in one bit only. I can understand when looking at circuit diagrams how the use of Gray codes can be used to implement U however I am struggling to explain the motivation behind using Gray codes in the first place. I can also construct some examples of circuits that execute U that I would show here but it appears qcircuit isn't supported on the forum. Sorry this isn't a very direct question: essentially I'm asking why Gray codes are used in circuits that enact arbitrary two-level unitary operations.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:
I am trying to derive a quantum circuit that will implement an arbitrary unitary operation using single qubit gates and C-NOT gates only. I have already shown how to construct a controlled U operation where U is a single qubit unitary operation. Furthermore I have proven the universality of two-level unitary matrices. Now I wish to show that any two level unitary operation can be performed using C-NOT and controlled U operations. To do this I must introduce gray codes. I understand that a gray code is a sequence of binary strings [itex]\{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}[/itex] where neighbouring members differ in one bit only. I can understand when looking at circuit diagrams how the use of Gray codes can be used to implement U however I am struggling to explain the motivation behind using Gray codes in the first place. I can also construct some examples of circuits that execute U that I would show here but it appears qcircuit isn't supported on the forum. Sorry this isn't a very direct question: essentially I'm asking why Gray codes are used in circuits that enact arbitrary two-level unitary operations.

It's an artifact from the time when electromechanical switches were used in computing devices.

This article may explain the reasoning behind the use of the Gray code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_code

Likes jimmycricket
Although used originally for mechanical switches (as stated in the article linked to by steamking), where varying latency of switching is much greater than with electronic circuits, they have also been used in some digital electronics where it is very important that inputs to a multiplexor, for example, that have varying delay times, do not cause transient spikes in the output while switching states.

Likes jimmycricket

Related to Implementing Arbitrary Unitary Ops with C-NOT & Gray Codes

1. What is the purpose of implementing arbitrary unitary operations with C-NOT and Gray codes?

The purpose of implementing arbitrary unitary operations with C-NOT and Gray codes is to efficiently perform quantum operations on qubits. By using C-NOT gates in conjunction with Gray codes, it is possible to implement any unitary operation on a set of qubits, making it a powerful tool in quantum computing.

2. How does the C-NOT gate work in implementing arbitrary unitary operations?

The C-NOT gate, also known as the Controlled-NOT gate, is a two-qubit gate that performs a NOT operation on the second qubit only if the first qubit is in the state |1>. This gate is crucial in implementing arbitrary unitary operations as it allows for conditional operations on qubits, which is necessary for many quantum algorithms.

3. What is the role of Gray codes in implementing arbitrary unitary operations?

Gray codes, also known as reflected binary codes, are used in implementing arbitrary unitary operations to ensure that only one qubit changes state at a time. This is important because in quantum computing, it is essential to maintain the coherence of qubits, and changing the state of multiple qubits simultaneously can result in errors.

4. Can arbitrary unitary operations be implemented without using C-NOT gates and Gray codes?

No, it is not possible to implement arbitrary unitary operations without using C-NOT gates and Gray codes. These tools are specifically designed for quantum computing and are essential for performing operations on qubits.

5. Are there any limitations to implementing arbitrary unitary operations with C-NOT and Gray codes?

Yes, there are limitations to implementing arbitrary unitary operations with C-NOT and Gray codes. One limitation is that the number of qubits that can be operated on simultaneously is limited by the number of available C-NOT gates. Another limitation is that not all unitary operations can be implemented, as some may require more qubits or C-NOT gates than are currently available in quantum computers.