Implicit differentiation and optimization

In summary, the problem involves finding the height and radius of a conical tent with minimal total surface area, including the floor material. Using implicit differentiation and the total differential, we can set the formula for surface area as a function of radius and use the derivative to find the critical point. By substituting for the derivative of radius with respect to height, we can solve for the height and radius and get the answers h =4\sqrt [3]{15} ft and r = \sqrt{2}\sqrt[3]{15}.
Strants

Homework Statement

A conical tent must contain [tex]40\pi ft^{3}[/tex]. Compute the height and radius of the tent with minimal total surface area. (Include the floor material.)

Homework Equations

1. [tex]\frac{\pi r^{2} h}{3} = 40\pi[/tex]
2. [tex] \pi r \sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}} + \pi r^{2} = S[/tex]
3. [tex] \frac {dr}{dh} = - \frac {r}{2h} [/tex]
4. [tex] \frac {dS} {dh} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} - \frac {r^{2}} {h}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used implicit differentiation with respect to h in equation 1 to get equation 3. I then used implicit differentiation and substitution of equation 3 to get equation 4. Because I am looking for an extrema, I then set [tex]\frac {dS}{dh}[/tex] equal to zero and re-arrange to get:

[tex] \frac {r^{2}} {h} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} [/tex]

After this, though, I'm not sure how to manipulate equation 5 to get one variable in terms of the other. My book gives the answers [tex]h =4\sqrt [3]{15} ft[/tex], [tex]r = \sqrt{2}\sqrt[3]{15}[/tex], which could well be correct, but I'm unclear as to how the answer was derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strants said:

Homework Statement

A conical tent must contain [tex]40\pi ft^{3}[/tex]. Compute the height and radius of the tent with minimal total surface area. (Include the floor material.)

Homework Equations

1. [tex]\frac{\pi r^{2} h}{3} = 40\pi[/tex]
4. [tex] \frac {dS} {dh} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} - \frac {r^{2}} {h}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used implicit differentiation with respect to h in equation 1 to get equation 3. I then used implicit differentiation and substitution of equation 3 to get equation 4. Because I am looking for an extrema, I then set [tex]\frac {dS}{dh}[/tex] equal to zero and re-arrange to get:

[tex] \frac {r^{2}} {h} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} [/tex]

After this, though, I'm not sure how to manipulate equation 5 to get one variable in terms of the other. My book gives the answers [tex]h =4\sqrt [3]{15} ft[/tex], [tex]r = \sqrt{2}\sqrt[3]{15}[/tex], which could well be correct, but I'm unclear as to how the answer was derived.
Setting dS/dh= 0 is not enough. It has to be the "total differential" that is equal to 0. Yes,
[tex]S(h,r)= \pi r \sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}} + \pi r^{2}[/tex].

And, since
[tex]\frac{\pi r^{2} h}{3} = 40\pi[/tex]

[itex]h= 120/r^2[/itex]. replace h in the surface area formula, so that S is a function of r only, differentiate that with respect to r, and set equal to 0.

Strants said:

In 4 you must remember that r is a function of h so you can't treat it as constant. For example, the derivative of r2 would be 2rdr/dh etc. You will need to substitute for your dr/dh from 3.

OK, thanks. I think I understand now.

Related to Implicit differentiation and optimization

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of a function where the independent variable is not explicitly stated. It involves treating the function as an equation and differentiating both sides with respect to the independent variable.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to express the dependent variable explicitly in terms of the independent variable. It is commonly used in functions involving logarithms, trigonometric functions, and other complex equations.

3. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function where the independent variable is explicitly stated. This can be done using standard differentiation rules. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the derivative of a function where the independent variable is not explicitly stated and requires the use of the chain rule.

4. What is the purpose of optimization in implicit differentiation?

Optimization is the process of finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. In implicit differentiation, optimization is often used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function that cannot be easily solved using other methods. It is particularly useful in applications involving economics, engineering, and physics.

5. Can implicit differentiation be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used for functions with multiple variables. In this case, the partial derivatives of the function are taken with respect to each variable. This allows for the optimization of functions with multiple variables, which is commonly used in fields such as economics and physics.