Implicit Differentiation for a 2nd Derivative

In summary: Of course, with (a, -3/(4a)), you must not include x = 0 , i.e. you can't have a = 0.Also, what is the second derivative if y = 0 , no matter the value of x ?
MATH_IN_A_KHAN
Hello! As of right now (10:13 PM), I've tried 9 combinations of points to solve this problem. It's a WebWork-based problem that's due in about an hour in a half. Any help would be very, very appreciated.

Homework Statement

I was given this equation: ##ln(2y) = 2xy## and was asked to find the first and second derivative from implicit differentiation.

The first is ##2y/(y^-1-2x)##

The second is ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3##

These are both correct according to WebWork.

Now, for the final part of the problem, it wants me to find ##d^2y/dx^2 = 0## at ##(x,y) = (?, ?)##

The Attempt at a Solution

- 3/(4x) was what I thought the right solution because it makes the numerator equal to zero, but WebWork wants only answers without variables
- Setting ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3## equal to zero and attempting to separate variables. Unsuccessful attempt.
- Messed around with WolframAlpha... also unsuccessful.
- Talked to friends in higher levels of math. No fruits either.

Could someone smarter than I provide some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
MATH_IN_A_KHAN said:
Hello! As of right now (10:13 PM), I've tried 9 combinations of points to solve this problem. It's a WebWork-based problem that's due in about an hour in a half. Any help would be very, very appreciated.

Homework Statement

I was given this equation: ##ln(2y) = 2xy## and was asked to find the first and second derivative of y from implicit differentiation.

The first derivative is ##2y/(y^{-1}-2x)##

The second derivative is ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3##

These are both correct according to WebWork.

Now, for the final part of the problem, it wants me to find ##d^2y/dx^2 = 0## at ##(x,y) = (?, ?)##

The Attempt at a Solution

- 3/(4x) was what I thought the right solution because it makes the numerator equal to zero, but WebWork wants only answers without variables
- Setting ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3## equal to zero and attempting to separate variables. Unsuccessful attempt.
- Messed around with WolframAlpha... also unsuccessful.
- Talked to friends in higher levels of math. No fruits either.

Could someone smarter than I provide some advice?
I'll give it a whirl anyway.

You're correct in that y'' = 0 when y = -3/(4x) .

Parametrize that. Let x = a, then y'' = 0, at (x,y) = (a, -3/(4a)) .

(There is another set of solutions too.)

SammyS said:
I'll give it a whirl anyway.

You're correct in that y'' = 0 when y = -3/(4x) .

Parametrize that. Let x = a, then y'' = 0, at (x,y) = (a, -3/(4a)) .

(There is another set of solutions too.)

Hmmm... no dice.

I tried (a, -3/(4a)), (1, -3/(4)), (2, -3/(8)), (-1, -3/(-4)), etc. Didn't work.

Here's a screen cap of the problem - http://i.imgur.com/k5XsDH6.png - if that can be of any help.

MATH_IN_A_KHAN said:
Hmmm... no dice.

I tried (a, -3/(4a)), (1, -3/(4)), (2, -3/(8)), (-1, -3/(-4)), etc. Didn't work.

Here's a screen cap of the problem - http://i.imgur.com/k5XsDH6.png - if that can be of any help.
Of course, with (a, -3/(4a)), you must not include x = 0 , i.e. you can't have a = 0.

Also, what is the second derivative if y = 0 , no matter the value of x ?

FAQ: Implicit Differentiation for a 2nd Derivative

1. What is implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative?

Implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative is a method used to find the second derivative of an implicitly defined function. This means that the function is not explicitly stated in terms of x and y, but rather as an equation with both x and y variables.

2. How is implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly stated in terms of x. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, deals with functions that are defined implicitly, meaning the equation includes both x and y variables. This requires the use of the chain rule and implicit differentiation rules.

3. What is the process of finding the 2nd derivative using implicit differentiation?

The process involves first finding the first derivative using implicit differentiation rules. Then, the second derivative is found by differentiating the first derivative with respect to x and simplifying the expression. This may require the use of the product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the complexity of the function.

4. When is implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative used?

Implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative is used when the function is defined implicitly and cannot be easily solved for y in terms of x. This method allows us to find the second derivative without having to solve for y explicitly.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative?

Implicit differentiation for a 2nd derivative can be used in many real-world applications, such as in physics to find acceleration or in economics to analyze the relationship between two variables. It can also be used to find critical points and inflection points in a function, which can have practical applications in optimization problems.