Implied accuracy in scientific notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of a measurement in feet to scientific notation, specifically (8.32)x10^4 ft and (8.320)x10^4 ft. The first conversion is accurate to the nearest hundred feet, while the second is accurate to the nearest ten feet. It is suggested to force the mantissa to be an integer to better understand why the first conversion is nearest to a hundred feet and the second is nearest to ten feet.
bergausstein
i just want to understand what i read in my algebra book. here what it says:

a measurement of 83200 ft. converted to (8.32)x10^4 ft. is now accurate to the nearest hundred feet. if we write (8.320)x10^4 the measurement is now accurate to the nearest ten feet.

i want to know why it is nearest to a hundred feet in the first conversion and nearest to ten feet in the second.

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: need help in my algebra!

It may help to force the mantissa (the number which is multiplied by a power of ten) to be an integer:

\(\displaystyle 8.32\,\times\,10^4\text{ ft}=832\,\times\,10^2\text{ ft}\)

We see we have a multiple of 100 ft.

\(\displaystyle 8.320\,\times\,10^4\text{ ft}=8320\,\times\,10\text{ ft}\)

We see we have a multiple of 10 ft.

Re: need help in my algebra!

thanks!

Related to Implied accuracy in scientific notation

1. What is implied accuracy in scientific notation?

Implied accuracy in scientific notation refers to the number of significant figures or digits included in the numerical representation of a measurement or calculation. It indicates the precision or level of uncertainty associated with the value.

2. How is implied accuracy determined in scientific notation?

Implied accuracy is determined by counting the number of significant figures in a number, excluding any leading or trailing zeros. The last digit in the number is often considered to be uncertain and therefore not included in the implied accuracy.

3. Why is implied accuracy important in scientific notation?

Implied accuracy is important because it allows scientists to communicate the precision and level of uncertainty associated with a measurement or calculation. It helps to ensure consistency and accuracy in scientific data and allows for proper comparison and analysis of results.

4. Can implied accuracy be changed in scientific notation?

Yes, implied accuracy can be changed in scientific notation by rounding the number to a different number of significant figures. However, this should only be done if the original number has more significant figures than needed for the desired level of accuracy.

5. How does implied accuracy affect the validity of scientific data?

The level of implied accuracy can greatly affect the validity of scientific data. If the implied accuracy is too low, it may result in an incorrect or misleading conclusion. On the other hand, if the implied accuracy is too high, it may imply a level of precision that is not actually present in the data.