Importance of GRE to be admited in LMU (Munich)

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether or not they should take the GRE subject test for their application to a master's program in Theoretical Physics at LMU in Munich. They mention that in Europe, it is mandatory to have a master's degree before pursuing a PhD and that the GRE subject test is not as common in Europe as it is in the US. They are concerned about the level of their education from a small university in Spain and the impact it may have on their application. However, they also mention having backup options that do not require the GRE subject test. Ultimately, the speaker is seeking guidance on whether or not taking the GRE subject test is worth their time and effort.
PabloAMC
Hi,
I think this is rather a specific question, but I would like some advice.
Next year I am finishing my physics degree in a rather small university of Spain, and I intend to at least try to go into a master's degree in Munich in Theoretical Physics (LMU). I would like to make to remarks here. First, in Europe it is actually compulsory to get a master's degree before the phd, and second, GRE subject test are much less common (for example, if somebody applied for Oxford or Cambridge I think you don't need to take that exam).
However, in the requirements of the master it says that if available, providing GRE subject test would be valuable in order to gauge the application, tough it is not necessary to take it.
The question is whether I should take it or not. In case I would take it I would have to study on my own, only with internet resources and maybe some help of any teacher. I should also be taken into account that it is time that I would not spend on studying real subjects, not learning technique for one exam.
Finally I am a bit affraid that the fact of studying in a small university may mean that they consider that the level is lower than in more prestigeous ones. If I am not selected it would not be the end of the world, I have some other choices (which do not require GRE), but this would be my first one.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First, yes. Most universities in Europe will require you to have a master degree (or equivalent) before starting PhD studies. This is in accordance with the Bologna 3+2 system.

Second, if you are worried about the admission process. Anything that aids your case is useful. I do not have any particular experience with the LMU admission.

Related to Importance of GRE to be admited in LMU (Munich)

1. What is the purpose of the GRE for admission to LMU (Munich)?

The GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test that is used by many universities, including LMU (Munich), as a factor in their admissions process. The purpose of the GRE is to assess a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills, which are important for success in graduate-level studies.

2. Is the GRE required for all programs at LMU (Munich)?

The GRE is not required for all programs at LMU (Munich). Some programs may have their own specific admissions requirements, so it is important to check with the specific program you are interested in to see if the GRE is required.

3. How does the GRE factor into the admissions decision at LMU (Munich)?

The GRE is just one factor that is considered in the admissions decision at LMU (Munich). Admissions committees also look at a student's undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and other application materials. While a good GRE score can strengthen an application, it is not the only determining factor in the admissions decision.

4. What is considered a good GRE score for admission to LMU (Munich)?

There is no specific cut-off score for the GRE at LMU (Munich). Admissions committees take a holistic approach to reviewing applications and consider a variety of factors beyond just test scores. However, a competitive GRE score is typically in the 70th percentile or above in each section.

5. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score for admission to LMU (Munich)?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score for admission to LMU (Munich). However, it is important to keep in mind that each time you take the GRE, all of your scores from the past five years will be reported to the universities you are applying to. So it is important to prepare and study thoroughly before retaking the exam.