Importance of other Elementary Particles?

In summary, the muon, tao, and nutrinoes are particles that are important to physics, but their relevance to everyday activities is low.
um0123
Another question that i am not even qualified to ask:

So i know that all the quarks have a job creating mesons and baryons. And i know the electron is a lepton with a very important job with the structure of an atom. But what is the importance of the muon, the tao, and all three nutrinoes? I've never read that much about them, except when i was learning special relativity and heard about the muon experiment. Furthermore, what's the importance of all the other baryons and mesons besides the proton and nuetron. I haven't really read anything about them either.

Im not doubting they have importance, I am just asking where they are important.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Importance is a subjective question. These other particles are there. For ordinary chemistry and biology, it is sufficient to consider only protons, neutrons, and electrons. Neutrinoes appear in beta decay. Everything else is of interest only to physicists and astronomers.

well, what i mean by important is what do we know about them that effects us? atoms are what all matter is made up of, so protons, nuetrons, and electrons are important. But what does the other particles do?

As said, neutrinos are involved in beta decay and they are a byproduct of nuclear fusion, so they contribute to the origin of solar energy.

The existence of three families of quarks & leptons may have contributed to matter-antimatter imbalance, and that explains why we're here in the first place. Their relevance to our everyday activities is probably very low.

I guess you could say muons are important in that they help validate Einstien's theory of special relativity. They are created in our upper atmosphere and decay very quickly, so quick in fact, that at traveling 99% the speed of light, should decay before they reach the Earth's surface. Yet they are still detected. The only way we can currently explain this is with SR's time dilation equation. (The faster an object moves, the slower time ticks for that object).

RJVoss said:
I guess you could say muons are important in that they help validate Einstien's theory of special relativity. They are created in our upper atmosphere and decay very quickly, so quick in fact, that at traveling 99% the speed of light, should decay before they reach the Earth's surface. Yet they are still detected. The only way we can currently explain this is with SR's time dilation equation. (The faster an object moves, the slower time ticks for that object).

yea, i meantioned that in my OP, have we used taus in anything?

Maybe we'll really understand their importance if we ever get a complete model of particle physics. Right now the standard model is a hodge podge of components which in aggregate work pretty well but is clearly incomplete.

Related to Importance of other Elementary Particles?

1. What are other elementary particles?

Other elementary particles are particles that make up the basic building blocks of matter and energy. These particles include quarks, leptons, and bosons.

2. Why is it important to study other elementary particles?

Studying other elementary particles is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe and how it works. It also allows us to develop theories and models that can explain complex phenomena.

3. How do other elementary particles interact with each other?

Other elementary particles interact with each other through the four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These interactions are responsible for the formation and behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. What impact do other elementary particles have on our daily lives?

Although we cannot directly observe other elementary particles in our daily lives, they have a significant impact on our understanding of the world around us. The technology and advancements made possible by studying these particles have greatly improved our lives through medical treatments, energy production, and communication.

5. What are some current research areas in the study of other elementary particles?

Some current research areas in the study of other elementary particles include the search for new particles beyond the Standard Model, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the investigation of the Higgs boson and its properties. Scientists are also working to understand the origins of the universe through the study of primordial particles and the Big Bang theory.