Importance of research area as an undergrad

In summary, the area of research does not matter as much as the skills and experience gained when applying to graduate schools. The person in the conversation is a biological engineering student interested in neural engineering, but is unsure if their current theoretical work in a neurobiology lab is the best fit for their interests. They are also concerned about whether graduate schools will prioritize their experience in engineering or biology. However, it is ultimately the skills and growth gained from their undergraduate research that graduate schools will consider.
jbrussell93
As an undergrad, how much does the area of research matter when applying to graduate schools? I am a biological engineering student hoping to go to graduate school for neural engineering. I'm currently in a neurobiology lab working working in the theoretical/computational side of neuroscience and neurophysiology. This is actually what has sparked my interest to continue into neural engineering. I enjoy neuroscience very much, but I feel like the work I'm doing is much more theoretical than what I would prefer... I'm more interested in neural interfacing and neural prosthesis and wonder if my time would be better spent in a more "applied" research lab. I am really enjoying the lab that I'm currently in because it involves a lot of math and programming (which is new to me), but will graduate schools care if it is more theoretical and biologically focused than engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I look at candidates for our graduate program, the specifics of their undergraduate research experience aren't nearly as important as how they have performed and what they got out of the experience.

FAQ: Importance of research area as an undergrad

1. What is the importance of choosing a research area as an undergraduate student?

Choosing a research area as an undergraduate student allows you to gain hands-on experience in conducting research, which is an essential skill for any scientist. It also allows you to explore your interests and deepen your understanding of a particular subject. Additionally, it can help you build relationships with faculty members and potentially lead to opportunities for publications or further research positions.

2. How can choosing a research area benefit my academic and career goals?

Being involved in research as an undergraduate can demonstrate your passion and dedication for a specific field, which can be beneficial for graduate school applications or job opportunities. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in academic and professional settings.

3. Can I change my research area if I am not satisfied with my initial choice?

Yes, you can definitely change your research area if you are not satisfied with your initial choice. It is important to explore different areas and find what truly interests you. However, it is also important to give your chosen research area enough time and effort before making a decision to switch.

4. How do I choose the right research area as an undergraduate?

The best way to choose a research area as an undergraduate is to first identify your interests and strengths. You can also talk to your professors, peers, and advisors for guidance and advice. Additionally, reading current literature and attending seminars or conferences can help you explore different research areas and find what aligns with your interests.

5. Can I publish my research as an undergraduate student?

Yes, it is possible to publish your research as an undergraduate student. However, the process may vary depending on your research area and the specific journal you are submitting to. It is important to work closely with your faculty advisor and follow the guidelines and standards set by the journal to increase your chances of publication.