Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense

In summary, Fuzzy, a quantum-mechanical duck with a mass of 1.80 kg, lives in a world where h = 2πJ · s and is initially known to be within a 1.00 m wide pond. Using the equation xp=h/4(3.14), the minimum uncertainty in Fuzzy's speed is calculated to be 8.88. However, this answer may be off by orders of magnitude and should be closer to 0.87 when considering the uncertainty in speed as half of the uncertainty in velocity.
footballfreak

Homework Statement

Suppose Fuzzy, a quantum-mechanical duck, lives in a world in which h = 2πJ · s. Fuzzy has a mass of 1.80 kg and is initially known to be within a pond 1.00 m wide. (a) What is the minimum uncertainty in the duck's speed?
1(b) Assuming this uncertainty in speed to prevail for 5.40 s, determine the uncertainty in Fuzzy's position after this time.

Homework Equations

xp=h/4(3.14)

The Attempt at a Solution

tried it a million different ways

Physics news on Phys.org
Well can you tell us what you tried, and tell us the right answer that you are failing to get?

im doing online homework

(a) I plugged all the numbers into the equation using 2pie for h and I get 8.88 and its off by orders of magnitude (b) I have no idea

How did you get 8.88?
if delta x * m * delta v = h/4 = 2pi / 4 = pi / 2
then
delta v = Pi / (2 * 1 m * 1.8 kg) = Pi Js / 3.6kgm
pi/3.6 is NOT 8.88 ... it's going to be a little less than 1

and that's not even considering the fact that the uncertainty in speed should be half of the uncertainty of velocity (though I've even seen some textbooks that don't even consider the fact that velocity can be in both directions, and take the uncertainty in velocity to be the uncertainty in speed...however, the book that i learned quantum mechanics from had the uncertainty in speed as half the uncertainty in velocity for all the questions ...i don't know how your online service works, but if 8.88 is off by EXACTLY an order of magnitude, then the real answer would be 0.87 and not half of that)

Last edited:

FAQ: Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense

1. What is the "Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense"?

The "Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense" is a nonsensical phrase that has no scientific meaning or significance. It may have been used as a joke or a thought experiment, but it has no basis in scientific theory or research.

2. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the nature of quantum particles and the limitations of measurement methods.

3. Is the "Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense" related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

No, the phrase is not related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in any way. It is simply a nonsensical phrase that has no scientific basis.

4. Can the "Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense" be answered or solved?

No, since the phrase is nonsensical and has no scientific meaning, it cannot be answered or solved. It is not a valid scientific question or problem.

5. Why is it important for scientists to avoid using nonsensical phrases like the "Impossible heisburg uncertainty question that makes no sense"?

As scientists, it is important to communicate clearly and accurately about scientific concepts and theories. Using nonsensical phrases can lead to confusion and misunderstandings, and it goes against the principles of scientific inquiry and research.

Back