Improper Integral With Branch Cut

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral and the use of a solutions manual to solve it. The solution involves breaking the integral into four parts and parametrizing the left and right curves. The use of a branch cut in the complex plane and the resulting (1-i) term in the solution is also discussed.
Illuminerdi
I understand most of the problem, but have yet to understand where a particular term came from. The problem is as follows:

Homework Statement

Show that (0 to ∞)dx/[(x2+1)√x] = π/√2
Hint: f(z)=z−1/2/(z2+ 1) = e(−1/2) log z /(z2+ 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have a solutions manual on me, but it's missing a step that I do not understand. I know to break the integral into 4 parts, an outer semi-circle contour that's infinitely large (of radius R), an inner contour that's infinitely small surrounding z=0 (of radius δ), a left contour from -R to δ, and a right contour from δ to R, but the solutions manual goes from parametrizing the left and right curves (by r) to combining them into a single integral with a factored term,
{δ to R} (1-i)∫dr/[(r2+1)√r].

I have no idea where this (1-i) term comes from.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because you have a square root term in your expression there must be a branch cut in the complex plane in order to make the square root function single-valued. In order to choose the contour you have chosen, you have to choose the branch cut to run from z = 0 to infinity.

The value of the square root function is different above the branch and below it (there is an extra phase factor). Because of this, the lower segment of your contour running from R to delta does not cancel with the upper segment running from delta to R, but instead contributes a factor (1-i).

Have you studied branch points and branch cuts yet?

Related to Improper Integral With Branch Cut

What is an improper integral with branch cut?

An improper integral with branch cut is a type of integral in which the integration limits include a point where the integrand has a discontinuity. This results in the integral having infinite or undefined value, making it improper.

How is an improper integral with branch cut evaluated?

To evaluate an improper integral with branch cut, the branch cut must first be identified. Then, the integral is split into two parts, with the branch cut as the dividing point. Each part is then evaluated separately using appropriate integration techniques, and the results are added together to obtain the final value of the integral.

What are some examples of improper integrals with branch cut?

Some examples of improper integrals with branch cut include integrals involving functions with a logarithmic or inverse trigonometric term, such as ∫(ln x)/(x-1) dx or ∫sin^-1 x/x dx.

What are the applications of improper integrals with branch cut?

Improper integrals with branch cut are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as electric potential, gravitational potential, and fluid flow. They also have applications in probability and statistics, such as in the calculation of cumulative distribution functions.

How can improper integrals with branch cut be solved numerically?

Improper integrals with branch cut can be solved numerically using techniques such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods involve approximating the integral using a series of points and then summing the values of the integrand at those points to obtain an estimate of the integral's value.