Improving 3 Digit Number Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ilikebugs
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the digit sum function and a hypothesis involving adding 9 to a number and its effect on the digit sum. The participants also explore the use of the commutative property of addition and determine the number of 3 digit numbers with a digit sum of 5. The topic of digit sums is mentioned as a potential area for further exploration.
Ilikebugs
View attachment 6241 Is there a better way than guess and check? Also is there a way for a 3 digit number to get to 3 steps, because 999 only goes to 2.

Attachments

• POTW D D.png
    POTW D D.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 80
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's denote the "digit sum" function by $\text{D}_{\text{S}}$. After computing this function for the first several natural numbers $n\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $\text{D}_{\text{S}}(n)=5$, I wish to put forth the hypothesis:

\(\displaystyle \text{D}_{\text{S}}(n+9)=\text{D}_{\text{S}}(n)\).

Let's try to prove this...let's begin by letting $n$ have $m$ digits...thus:

\(\displaystyle n=\sum_{k=0}^{m-1}\left(a_{k}10^{k}\right)\) where $0\le a_k\le9$ and $0<a_{m-1}$.

We can see that we must have:

\(\displaystyle \text{D}_{\text{S}}(n)=\text{D}_{\text{S}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{m-1}\left(a_{k}\right)\right)\)

Let's first examine the case where $0<a_0$...what happens to $a_0$ and $a_1$ when we add $9$ to $n$?

the digit sum is the same?

Ilikebugs said:
the digit sum is the same?

That's the hypothesis we're trying to prove.

What I'm asking is when the one's digit for $n$ is not zero, what happens to the one's digit and the ten's digit when we add 9 to $n$?

The ones digit is subtracted by 1 and the tens digit is added by 1

Ilikebugs said:
The ones digit is subtracted by 1 and the tens digit is added by 1

Correct! :D

So this leave the digit sum unchanged. What about if $n$ ends in one or more zeroes? What can we do then? (Thinking)

MarkFL said:
Correct! :D

So this leave the digit sum unchanged. What about if $n$ ends in one or more zeroes? What can we do then? (Thinking)

Hint: The commutative property of addition...(Thinking)

Okay, let's assume the lemma I gave is true, and so all numbers having at least 3 digits and whose digit sum is 5 is given by:

$n=95+9m$ where $m\in\mathbb{N}$

We find the largest 3 digit number whose digit sum is 5 to be 995. So we set:

$n=95+9m=995$

\(\displaystyle 9m=900\)

\(\displaystyle m=100\)

Thus, there are 100 such numbers for which the question called. And you are correct that all can be found in less than 3 steps.

Alternatively, observe that the digit sum for consecutive numbers increases by 1 as we add 1, "rolling over" to 1 as we increase by one from a digit sum of 9. Since 999 - 99 = 900 and 900/9 = 100, there are 100 numbers in the given range with a digit sum of 5.

greg1313 said:
Alternatively, observe that the digit sum for consecutive numbers increases by 1 as we add 1, "rolling over" to 1 as we increase by one from a digit sum of 9. Since 999 - 99 = 900 and 900/9 = 100, there are 100 numbers in the given range with a digit sum of 5.

Greg, I'm just curious, had you ever heard of "digit sums" before this thread? I hadn't. It seems a topic for a rich exploration. :D

MarkFL said:
Greg, I'm just curious, had you ever heard of "digit sums" before this thread? I hadn't. It seems a topic for a rich exploration. :D

Yes. Actually they appear in number theory and discrete mathematics (at least). I once used digit sums to solve a problem that involved finding the missing digits in a sum. I don't recall the exact problem; it was quite some time ago. :)

FAQ: Improving 3 Digit Number Solutions

1. How can I improve my 3-digit number solutions?

Improving 3-digit number solutions involves several strategies, such as using mental math techniques, breaking down the problem into simpler parts, and practicing regularly. Additionally, you can also try different problem-solving methods and seek help from a tutor or teacher for personalized guidance.

2. Is practicing with different types of 3-digit number problems helpful in improving solutions?

Yes, practicing with a variety of 3-digit number problems can help improve solutions. It helps develop a better understanding of the concepts and improves problem-solving skills. It also allows for the application of different strategies and techniques to find the most efficient solution.

3. How important is it to check my work for accuracy when solving 3-digit number problems?

It is crucial to check your work for accuracy when solving 3-digit number problems. This step ensures that there are no mistakes in the solution and helps identify any errors that may have been made during the problem-solving process. It also helps in understanding the problem better and finding alternative methods to solve it.

4. Can using technology, such as calculators, help in improving 3-digit number solutions?

Technology, such as calculators, can be helpful in improving 3-digit number solutions when used correctly. It can save time and provide accurate calculations, but it is essential to understand the concepts and problem-solving strategies before relying on technology. Using technology as a tool, rather than a crutch, can be beneficial in improving solutions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving 3-digit number problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 3-digit number problems include not reading the problem carefully, making calculation errors, and not checking the work for accuracy. It is also essential to understand the concepts and strategies used to solve the problem rather than blindly following steps. Practicing regularly and being mindful of mistakes can help improve solutions.