Impulse and Momentum, 2 dimension

In summary, the conversation is about finding the impulse experienced by a baseball after being hit by a bat. The initial velocity of the ball is 32.0 m/s [E] with a mass of 0.152 kg, and after contact, the velocity is 52.0 m/s [W 20 N]. The formula used is Fnet Δt = m(v2-v1) and the question is how to use this formula to find the impulse. The individual has attempted to solve the problem but has not been successful and is seeking assistance.
buttretler
Been stuck on this question for days and any help would be greatly appreciated

A baseball going horizontally at 32.0 m/s [E] with a mass of 0.152 kg is hit by a bat for 0.002 seconds. the velocity after the ball after contact is 52.0 m/s [W 20 N]

Find the impulse experienced by the ball. (I'm guessing total impulse, first vector and the other)

pretty much what i have to work with is F net Δt = m(v2-v1)

Tutors keep telling me I'm wrong without pointing me in the right direction just adding more confusion. here is what i did. ...

V1 being its initial vector

v1x = 32cos0 = 32
v1y = 32sin0 = 0

V2 being after collision

v2x = -52cos20 = -48.864
v2y = 52sin20 = 17.785

now applying Fnet Δt = m(v2-v1) for x and y components.

fnetx Δt = m(-80.864)
fnetx(0.002)=0.152(-80.864)
fnetx = -6145.664

then same stuff for y

fnety =1351.664

after that i use both values to plug into a triangle then Pythagorean to find unknown side which to me seems like it would be the impulse of the ball. which i got 6292.5 kg m/s.

I need help with this, I just can't seem to rack my brain around what is wrong. Things I'm pretty sure I need to use is the fnet Δt=m(v2-v1) and some kind of triangle.

Thanks a lot in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
heres what i did

Attachments

• baseball.jpg
    baseball.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 487

Related to Impulse and Momentum, 2 dimension

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are related but different concepts in physics. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum over time.

2. How do you calculate impulse and momentum in 2 dimensions?

In two dimensions, impulse and momentum can be calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces and velocities into their x and y components, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total magnitude and direction of the momentum or impulse.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in 2 dimensions?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. In two dimensions, this means that the total momentum in the x direction and the total momentum in the y direction must be equal before and after the interaction.

4. How does impulse affect an object's velocity in 2 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, impulse can change an object's velocity in both the x and y directions. The change in velocity will depend on the magnitude and direction of the impulse, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the object.

5. What real-life applications use the principles of impulse and momentum in 2 dimensions?

Impulse and momentum are important concepts in many real-life applications, such as sports (e.g. a hockey player hitting a puck), car accidents (e.g. airbags deploying), and rocket launches (e.g. the force of the rocket pushing off the ground).