Impulse response function & Laplace transforms

In summary, to find the output of a system given its Laplace transform and input, you can use the formula Y(s) = H(s)X(s) and then find the inverse Laplace transform of Y(s) to get y(t). This can be done by using partial fractions and convolution integral methods. However, the problem may become complicated and messy, so it may be helpful to check your set up and approach to ensure accuracy.
magnifik
i am given the Laplace transform of an impulse response function, as well as its input. i am supposed to find its output.

H(s) = 1/s2 + s + 1
x(t) = sin2(t-1)U(t-1)

what i have done so far is the following:
i know that Y(s) = H(s)X(s) and from this i can easily find y(t)
so i found X(s) since H(s) is already given...this may be wrong
X(s) = 2e-s/s2 + 4

then i found Y(s)
Y(s) = 2e-s/(s2 + s + 1)(s2 + 4)
then i know that y(t) should be 2y(t-1) because of the e-s time shifting

but i am stuck here... is there a better way to solve this problem using Convolution integral or any other way? i know how to do both the partial fractions method and convolution integral but i keep getting stuck. i think i have set up the problem wrong, perhaps in the X(s) solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it will be messy all ways!

If you want to continue with what you started, ignore the exponential factor for now and find the inverse Laplace transform of

[tex]\frac{2}{(s^2+s+1)(s^2+4)}[/tex]

Start by using partial fractions to get separate terms:

[tex]\frac{2}{(s^2+s+1)(s^2+4)} = \frac{As+B}{s^2+s+1}+\frac{Cs+D}{s^2+4}[/tex]

The more painful way of finding y(t) would be to find h(t) from H(s) and then convolve x(t) and h(t).

Related to Impulse response function & Laplace transforms

What is an impulse response function?

An impulse response function is a mathematical concept that describes the response of a system to a short, intense input signal known as an impulse. It is often used in signal processing, control systems, and other fields to understand how a system will react to different inputs.

What is the relationship between impulse response functions and Laplace transforms?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool that can be used to analyze the behavior of a system over time. It is closely related to the impulse response function, as the Laplace transform of an impulse response function yields the transfer function of the system, which can be used to describe the system's overall response to any input signal.

How are impulse response functions and Laplace transforms used in practical applications?

Impulse response functions and Laplace transforms are used in a wide variety of practical applications, including engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze the behavior of systems such as electronic circuits, control systems, and financial markets.

What are the key properties of impulse response functions?

There are several key properties of impulse response functions that make them useful in analyzing systems, including linearity, time-invariance, and causality. Linearity means that the response to a linear combination of inputs is equal to the linear combination of the individual responses. Time-invariance means that the response of the system is independent of when the input is applied. Causality means that the output of the system cannot occur before the input is applied.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using impulse response functions and Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using impulse response functions and Laplace transforms. These include assuming the system is linear and time-invariant, and that the input and output signals are continuous and differentiable. Additionally, the Laplace transform may not exist for some functions, and the impulse response function may not be unique for some systems.