In Desperate Need of Help Analysis Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function f that has the property f(u+v) = f(u) + f(v). The first part of the problem (a) asks to prove that if f(1) = m, then f(x) = mx for all rational numbers x. The conversation provides hints on how to approach this proof, using the definition of continuity and the Mean Value Theorem. The second part of the problem (b) asks to prove that if f is continuous, then f(x) = mx for all x in the real numbers. The conversation discusses how to extend the proof from rational to irrational numbers using continuity. The conversation also includes a step-by-step breakdown of the proof for part (a)
Janez25

Homework Statement

Let f: R→R have the property that for every u and v in R.
f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v)
(a) Prove: If f(1)=m, then f(x)=mx for all rational numbers x.
(b) Prove: If f is continuous, then f(x)=mx for all x ∈ R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really lost on this problem. We have kind of rushed through the topic of continuity, but I believe I should use the MVT on part (a) and the definition of continuity on part (b).

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, here is a hint:

Notice that f(1) = f(1/2 + 1/2) so... Also, f(2) = f(1 + 1) so...

For part b, here is a hint: once you have shown part a, you will know that f(x) = mx at all values of x that are rational. Now, let w be irrational. Then, you can find rationals "near" w, in fact on any open interval around w there are rationals in that interval. Use part a and continuity to conclude that f(w) = mw.

How do you know that f(1) = f( 1/2 + 1/2) and f(2) = f( 1+1)? I am really bad at writing proofs.

Janez25 said:
How do you know that f(1) = f( 1/2 + 1/2) and f(2) = f( 1+1)? I am really bad at writing proofs.

erm :redface: … because 1 = 1/2 + 1/2 and 2 = 1 + 1 …

that's all Russell Berty :smile: is saying! :wink:

Thanks! I feel so special now. :blushing:

tiny-tim said:
erm :redface: … because 1 = 1/2 + 1/2 and 2 = 1 + 1 …

that's all Russell Berty :smile: is saying! :wink:

My professor suggested using f(3/2) = f(1+1/2) = f(1) + f(1/2) = f(1/2 + 1/2) + f(1/2) = f(1/2) + f(1/2) + f(1/2) = 3f(1/2).
I guess I am having so much difficulty with this problem because I do not understand what it is really asking me to prove. I really need this broken down. It takes me a little longer than others I guess. :confused:

You want to show that f(x) = mx for rational x, and then from the continuity of f, show that this is true for irrational x too.

If x is rational, we can write it in the form p/q where both p and q are integers. Now we have:

f(p/q) = f(1/q) + f(1/q) + ... + f(1/q) (p times) = pf(1/q)

Prove that f(1/q) = m/q and then you're done with rational x. Use f's continuity to extend it to irrational x too.

Janez25 said:
My professor suggested using f(3/2) = f(1+1/2) = f(1) + f(1/2) = f(1/2 + 1/2) + f(1/2) = f(1/2) + f(1/2) + f(1/2) = 3f(1/2).

I think your professor is being rather obscure. :frown:

Let's start again …

f(1) = m …

ok: then what's f(1 + 1 + … 1) = f(n) for a whole number n ?

and what's f(1/n + 1/n + … 1/n) ? :smile:

Is the first part mf(n)? Is the second part mf(1/n)?

Janez25 said:
Is the first part mf(n)? …

oooh, that doesn't even make sense :cry:

Be systematic …

write it out step by step

f(1) = m,

so f(n) = f(1 + 1 + … 1) = f(1) + f(1) + … + f(1) = … ? :smile:

And f(1/n) = … ?

Ok, the first part is f(1)=pm, and the second part is f(1/n)=p(m/n). I guess?

I am starting to feel about this problem the way my Algebra II students feel about their homework assignments. It is really giving me grief. I know the proof is probably very simple, but the more I think about the problem the more confused I become:confused:

No, f(1) = m.

Now if n is a positive integer, then f(n) = f(1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1) n amount of times = f(1) + f(1) + ... + f(1) n amount of times = ??

Also, m = f(1) = f(1/n + 1/n + ... + 1/n) n amount of times = f(1/n) + f(1/n) + ... + f(1/n) n amount of times = ??

Ok, does the first part = mn, and the second part = m/n?

My professor also mentioned that for part (a) we should also include the proof that f(a/b)=af(1/b).
For that part of (a) I have f(a/b)=f(a+1/b)=f(a)+f(1/b)=? This is where I got lost.

Last edited:
There you go. You've showed that f(1/q) = m/q. Can you show what f(p/q) is equal to? And show your work next time please :)

Ok, f(p/q)=f(p+1/q)=f(p)+f(1/q)=f(1/q+1/q)+f(1/q)=?

Last edited:
f(p/q) is NOT equal to f(p + 1/q). W

e'll use a/b instead of p/q. To show that f(a/b) = af(1/b):

f(a/b) = f(1/b + 1/b + ... + 1/b) a amount of times = f(1/b) + ... + f(1/b) a amount of times = af(1/b). Can you now conclude what f(a/b) is equal to?

Last edited:
So, f(a/b)=ma/b. I hope this is right, because this assignment is due at 6:35p.m. I will try to finish on my own. Thanks for everyone's help!

Related to In Desperate Need of Help Analysis Homework

1. What is "In Desperate Need of Help Analysis Homework"?

"In Desperate Need of Help Analysis Homework" is a phrase that refers to a situation where a student is struggling with analyzing and understanding a particular homework assignment and requires assistance in completing it.

2. Why is it important to analyze homework?

Analyzing homework is important because it allows students to understand the purpose and objectives of the assignment, identify any difficult or unclear concepts, and develop effective strategies for completing the task. It also helps students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for academic success.

3. How can I improve my analysis skills for homework?

To improve your analysis skills for homework, you can start by carefully reading the instructions and identifying the key concepts and questions. Then, break down the assignment into smaller, manageable parts and try to make connections between the different elements. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor for additional guidance and practice.

4. What are some common challenges when analyzing homework?

Some common challenges when analyzing homework include understanding the instructions, identifying the main objectives of the assignment, and connecting the concepts to real-life examples. Other challenges may include time management, lack of motivation, and difficulty in staying focused. It is important to address these challenges by seeking help and practicing effective study habits.

5. How can I get help with analyzing my homework?

You can get help with analyzing your homework by reaching out to your teacher or a tutor for guidance. You can also join study groups or seek online resources such as video tutorials or practice exercises. It is important to actively seek help and communicate any difficulties you may have in understanding the assignment.