In search of applications of radiation pressure

In summary, radiation pressure has various applications such as in solar sails, stars, small objects in the solar system, and laser cooling. However, caution should be used when claiming the radiometer as an application. Other potential applications include the Pioneer anomaly, although it may be met with controversy. Laser cooling involves using a laser to slow down particles by having them absorb light and emit it in a random direction.
rida
can anyone tell me the applications of radiation pressure?
i have manged to find out one application i.e in solar sails but still my instructor is demanding more applications. i have also found an abstract of an article its about Adiabatic electron thermal pressure fluctuations in tokamak plasma at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11497950 but there is not enough detail present there. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation pressure is important in stars. I don't know if that counts as "application".
For small objects in the solar system, radiation pressure can be relevant, too.

i don't think he would consider it as an application, but can't it be placed in some other portion of my assignment?

Laser cooling? You shine a laser on an atom coming towards you to slow it down.

Ibix said:
Laser cooling? You shine a laser on an atom coming towards you to slow it down.

can you give me a little detail of it please

Laser cooling
With the right setup, particles absorb light if they fly in the opposite direction (so they get slower) and emit in in some random direction again (with just a small impact on their average velocity).

thaks a lot mfb

FAQ: In search of applications of radiation pressure

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the pressure exerted by electromagnetic radiation on a surface or object. This pressure is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons, the particles that make up electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is radiation pressure used in everyday applications?

One of the most common applications of radiation pressure is in solar sails, which use the force of sunlight to propel spacecraft through space. Radiation pressure is also used in laser cooling, where it is used to slow down atoms and molecules for scientific research.

3. Can radiation pressure be harmful?

Yes, radiation pressure can be harmful if exposure to high levels of radiation is sustained over a long period of time. This can lead to damage to DNA and other biological structures, and potentially cause health problems such as cancer.

4. Is radiation pressure only caused by sunlight?

No, radiation pressure can be caused by any type of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and even radio waves. However, sunlight is the most common source of radiation pressure on Earth.

5. What are some potential future applications of radiation pressure?

Scientists are currently exploring the potential use of radiation pressure in technologies such as solar power generation and space propulsion systems. It is also being studied for potential medical applications, such as targeted drug delivery and cancer treatment.

Back