In the case of a contradicted conditional given:

• Thread starter pandaBee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditional
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a case-by-case approach in proving a statement that takes the form of A or B or C. It is important to ensure that all possible cases result in the statement being true, and constraints can reduce the number of cases to consider.
pandaBee

Homework Statement

If I have a given in a proof in the form:
A or B or C ... etc. etc. and if I choose to approach this given in a case by case basis: (assuming one of the A,B,C... one at a time) and if one or more of the assumptions contradicts some other given in the proof does that mean that I can simply ignore that possibility?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For example: if A or B or C

case1: Assume A
Contradiction
Therefore B or C

I was under the impression that in order for a case-by-case proof to suceed you need to ensure that all the possible cases come out to be true, however what about this situation:

Assume not A

A or B or C
case1: A
However, not A, contradiction

case 2: B
Goal is true
case 3: C
Goal is true

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a statement like: If A or B or C, then D? To show that statement is true, you need to show A→D, B→D, and C→D.

You can't infer that if A is false, then B or C is true. It's possible for A, B, and C to all be false, right?

I think he might be thinking Given (A or B or C) and not(A) then B or C.

Kurtz is correct, the given would be of a form
(A or B or C)
Though it doesn't have to have three possibilities, it could have as arbitrarily many, it doesn't really matter for the sake of this discussion, just as long as there are 2 or more.

pandaBee said:
I was under the impression that in order for a case-by-case proof to suceed you need to ensure that all the possible cases come out to be true, however what about this situation:

Assume not A

A or B or C
case1: A
However, not A, contradiction

You do need to ensure that each case comes out true. That means that ( A or B or C) can be made true in each case. If you are given A is false, you will not have a case where you assume A is true.

Normally if you have n statements, you will have ##2^n## possible combinations of T/F in a truth table. Constraints such as A is false simply reduce the number of potential cases to look at. Now there are only ##2^2## combinations to consider. Only one of which makes the first statement (A or B or C) false.

FAQ: In the case of a contradicted conditional given:

What does "contradicted conditional given" mean?

A contradicted conditional given refers to a logical statement that assumes a condition to be true, but is later contradicted by evidence or further information.

How is a contradicted conditional given different from a regular conditional statement?

A regular conditional statement assumes that the condition is true, while a contradicted conditional given assumes the condition is true but is later shown to be false.

What types of evidence can contradict a conditional statement?

Any type of evidence or information that proves the condition to be false can contradict a conditional statement. This can include scientific data, observations, or logical reasoning.

Can a contradicted conditional given be proven to be true?

No, a contradicted conditional given cannot be proven to be true. It is based on an assumption that is later shown to be false, therefore the statement itself cannot be considered true.

Why is it important to consider contradicted conditional given statements in scientific research?

Considering contradicted conditional given statements is important in scientific research because it allows for the identification and correction of false assumptions. This can lead to more accurate and reliable conclusions and findings.

Back