In the circular motion below, what will be the velocity?

In summary: It is not clear to me whether the use of complex variables to represent the vectors comes from the original problem or has been introduced by the student.
HCverma

Homework Statement

In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s? From the left, in the 3rd diagram, if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/ s then what is the change in velocity? t = 5 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer should be.
Acceleration = Vf - Vi / t = (-2i) - 2i / 5 = -4i / 5 = -0.8 m/s^2 but the answer is 0.8m/s^2.

Attachments

• circular-motion-2-1024.jpg
    circular-motion-2-1024.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
I see two illegible drawings (pure black) and something in the middle with some semi-legible chicken scratchings.

I think you should re-state the problem and provide readable drawing, it is not clear to me. Hint: velocity is a vector, giving value like "2 m/s" is not sufficient.

Likes Delta2
HCverma said:

Homework Statement

In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s? From the left, in the 3rd diagram, if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/ s then what is the change in velocity? t = 5 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer should be.
Acceleration = Vf - Vi / t = (-2i) - 2i / 5 = -4i / 5 = -0.8 m/s^2 but the answer is 0.8m/s^2.
I have edited the image so that you can understand. Please see the image and let me know.

Attachments

26.5 KB · Views: 349
HCverma said:
In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s?
the answer should be.
The question asks for a change in velocity but the answer is an acceleration? That's wrong.

Likes SammyS
HCverma said:
(-2i) - 2i

How can both velocity vectors have same unit vector?

According to your drawing the first one, one is along j and another along i.

The pictures are still not clear. What are you using?

jbriggs444 said:
The question asks for a change in velocity but the answer is an acceleration? That's wrong.
Yes, my question is that in the picture change in velocity is 4 or -4, As I know the change in velocity is Vf -Vi = (-2i) - 2i = -4i. please see the picture.

Attachments

26.5 KB · Views: 332
e-pie said:
How can both velocity vectors have same unit vector?

According to your drawing the first one, one is along j and another along i.

The pictures are still not clear. What are you using?
Could you suggest an online editor where I could sharpen my image as much clear as I can?

HCverma said:
Yes, my question is that in the picture change in velocity is 4 or -4, As I know the change in velocity is Vf -Vi = (-2i) - 2i = -4i. please see the picture.
I would say that the change in velocity is neither 4 nor -4. It is -4i.

Likes HCverma
jbriggs444 said:
would you please let me know whether you could understand my edited image I provided so that in future I would edit my images to that degree. Is it readable?

Attachments

26.5 KB · Views: 343
HCverma said:
would you please let me know whether you could understand my edited image I provided so that in future I would edit my images to that degree. Is it readable?
It is not pretty, but it is magnified enough that I can read it.

Likes HCverma
jbriggs444 said:
It is not pretty, but it is magnified enough that I can read it.
Ok, Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

jbriggs444 said:
It is not clear to me whether the use of complex variables to represent the vectors comes from the original problem or has been introduced by the student.
@HCverma , please state the problem as given to you, word for word.

Likes HCverma
haruspex said:
It is not clear to me whether the use of complex variables to represent the vectors comes from the original problem or has been introduced by the student.
@HCverma , please state the problem as given to you, word for word.
Next time I will.

HCverma said:
Next time I will.
Why not this time? As I understand it, you still lack an explanation for the book answer.

Likes jbriggs444

Related to In the circular motion below, what will be the velocity?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant.

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

3. How is velocity calculated in circular motion?

In circular motion, velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled around the circle by the time taken to complete one full revolution.

4. What factors affect the velocity in circular motion?

The velocity in circular motion is affected by the radius of the circle, the time taken to complete one revolution, and the mass of the object.

5. How does velocity change in circular motion?

In circular motion, the velocity is constantly changing as the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing. This change in velocity is known as acceleration and is directed towards the center of the circle.