In the simplest qualitative terms what is a differential equation?

In summary, a differential equation is any equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. An ordinary differential equation only contains ordinary derivatives, while a partial differential equation contains partial derivatives. Differential equations are commonly used in various areas of mathematics and science to model real-world situations and phenomena.
find_the_fun
I'm going to be taking a course in differential equations and I'm nervous. From previous calculus courses I know
  1. the derivative is the ratio of how one quantity changes with respect to another
  2. the integral is the area under the curve

So what's a differential equation? According to here "A differential equation is any equation which contains derivatives, either ordinary derivatives or partial derivatives. "

This doesn't make any sense because how is a differential equation different than a derivative? If you are abstractly given a function \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2\) then you can't say it's a dirivative or antidirvate of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
I'm going to be taking a course in differential equations and I'm nervous. From previous calculus courses I know
  1. the derivative is the ratio of how one quantity changes with respect to another

So what's a differential equation? According to here "A differential equation is any equation which contains derivatives, either ordinary derivatives or partial derivatives. "

This doesn't make any sense because how is a differential equation different than a derivative? If you are abstractly given a function \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2\) then you can't say it's a dirivative or antidirvate of anything.
In a differential equation, the idea is to find $y$ as a function of $x$, given some information about $y$ and its derivatives. The very simplest example of a differential equation might be something like the equation $\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x$. You can easily solve that by integrating it, to find that the solution is $y=x^2$ plus a constant of integration. But suppose that the equation is slightly more complicated, for example $\frac{dy}{dx} = x +y$. How would you solve that to find $y$ as a function of $x$? A course in differential equations will show you how to do that.

[sp]In case you are wondering, the solution to that equation is $y = -x-1 + ce^x$, where $c$ is a constant.[/sp]

find_the_fun said:

A differential equation is an equation, a derivative is NOT! Okay, having got that off my chest, I think I understand your point. "Contains derivatives", etc. is not sufficient. The crucial point is that a differential equation contains derivatives of some unknown function. Yes, "[tex]x^2[/tex]" can be thought of as the derivative of [tex]\frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex] but just having [tex]x^2[/tex] in an equation does NOT make it a "differential equation". To be a differential equation, the equation must contain something like [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex], [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex], etc., where y is the "unknown" function.

More generally, a "functional equation" is an equation that gives us some information about a function. "f(x+ 1)= f(x)" is a functional equation. [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ 2\frac{dy}{dx}+ y= x^2[/tex] is a special kind of a functional equation (since it gives information about the function y) called a "differential equation" because that information is actually about the derivatives of the function y.

Glad I asked. I had the first lecture today and the prof skipped over the definition of a differential equation (in fairness it was a substitute prof).

What is an ordinary differential equation? Does all that mean is it doesn't have partial derivatives?

find_the_fun said:
What is an ordinary differential equation? Does all that mean is it doesn't have partial derivatives?
Yes. You will often see the abbreviations ODE and PDE for ordinary/partial differential equation.

I'm writing myself notes now and here's the first:

Differential equation: a functional equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives

An ordinary differential equation is an equation of the form (or that can be rewritten in the form):

\(\displaystyle \large f(x,y,y',...,y^{(n)})=0\)

A partial differential equation is similar but with partial derivatives with repect to the variables appearing (including mixed partials).

Last edited:

FAQ: In the simplest qualitative terms what is a differential equation?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent how a function changes over time or space.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary, partial, and stochastic. Ordinary differential equations involve single-variable functions, partial differential equations involve multi-variable functions, and stochastic differential equations involve random processes.

3. What is the simplest form of a differential equation?

The simplest form of a differential equation is a first-order equation, which contains only the first derivative of the function. It can be represented as dy/dx = f(x), where y is the function, x is the independent variable, and f(x) is the function itself.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems and processes, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the growth of populations.

5. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in real-world problems, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and many others.