In what proton MRI is focusing ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MRI to focus on hydrogen protons in the body and how it can distinguish between different tissues based on the environment of the protons. The resonance frequency of the hydrogen nucleus is slightly shifted depending on its environment, allowing for differentiation between tissues. The use of radio frequency (RF) pulses is also discussed, with their frequency and bandwidth selected to resonate with the protons of interest. The role of relaxation in MRI and its difference from NMR is also mentioned, as well as the use of gradients in MRI. The difference between a 90-pulse and 180-pulse in MRI is also touched upon, with the 180-pulse causing protons to change direction and save the proton consolidation.
offerbh
Hello all,

I know that MRI is focuse on Hydrogen proton,

but I don't understand if it focuse just in the Hydrogen proton

that in water (Liquids) of the body or in all the Hydrogen proton

that are within the molecules in the body.

In relation to this, how the MRI could distinguish between tissues-he doing this

While focusing on their environment of the protons?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
offerbh said:
Hello all,

I know that MRI is focuse on Hydrogen proton,

but I don't understand if it focuse just in the Hydrogen proton

that in water (Liquids) of the body or in all the Hydrogen proton

that are within the molecules in the body.
All of them, not just the ones in water. In fact, one of the primary challenges in clinical MRI is the suppression of signal from hydrogen atoms in lipids (fat), not water.

offerbh said:
In relation to this, how the MRI could distinguish between tissues-he doing this

While focusing on their environment of the protons?
The resonance frequency of the hydrogen nucleus is slightly shifted depending on it's environment.

Thanks,

Maybe you could elaborate a little more about this process-
We can distinguish between tissues because the shifted in resonance frequency of the hydrogen nucleus that cause because of their environment?

No one knows?

offerbh said:
Maybe you could elaborate a little more about this process-
We can distinguish between tissues because the shifted in resonance frequency of the hydrogen nucleus that cause because of their environment?
A hydrogen nucleus resonates at 42.58 MHz/T. So the question is what field does the hydrogen see? If it is a free proton then it is not shielded from the external field, but if it is bound then there are some electrons nearby. Those electrons react to the external field in a way which shields the hydrogen a small amount (a few ppm). This changes the field seen by the nucleus and therefore shifts the resonant frequency.

Thank. Let's look at it from the perspective of a radio pulse sent to the tissue.
It give to the proton energy changing the position of the protons.
Now, when they make relaxation, They emit energy that received differently because of the different environment of electrons?

Yes. Although I wouldn't say changing position so much as changing orientation.

Of course, it Effect Zeeman (English is not my native language so I'm kinda having trouble translating, sorry
about that).
What I don't understand is the relationship between the external magnetic field, protons and the radio pulse-
The radio pulse is in the frequency of the hydrogen nucleus ( 42.58 MHz/T), but if we talk about pulse, then
how can we talk about frequency?

A RF pulse typically lasts from about .5 ms to 5 ms. At typical clinical MRI frequencies that is anywhere from 32,000 to 640,000 cycles. The term "RF pulse" does not imply such a brief duration that it does not have a well-defined frequency.

Ok, and I understand that the frequency of this pulse is 42.58 MHz/T, but the pulse must be with Frequency Range
Because proton frequencies are slightly different from each other depending on their environment (although the intensity of the magnetic field is the same) - Otherwise he would not be absorbed by all the protons in the tissue that being scanned? (I include here the use of the gradient- that creates the difference between each point )

offerbh said:
the pulse must be with Frequency Range
Yes, that is called the bandwidth. The center frequency and the bandwidth are selected so as to resonate with the protons of interest, especially in the presence of a field gradient.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, that is called the bandwidth. The center frequency and the bandwidth are selected so as to resonate with the protons of interest, especially in the presence of a field gradient.

All this is calculated by the Larmor formula when inside taken into account, among other things, the external magnetic field strength and gradient strength may also-but how is take into account the environmental changes that affect the frequency of each proton and proton?

offerbh said:
All this is calculated by the Larmor formula when inside taken into account, among other things, the external magnetic field strength and gradient strength may also-but how is take into account the environmental changes that affect the frequency of each proton and proton?
There are essentially two ways to do that. Either you can turn off the gradients so that the chemical shift is the only major effect or you can vary the gradients during your RF pulse so as to generate a desired spatial and spectral excitation.

Ok, but now you are talking about giving the signal during the relaxation, am I right?

I understand that the molecule in which the proton of the hydrogen, ie environment, more big - it will be different Signal relatively small molecule , such as water molecules?

In all of my comments above I was talking only about frequency shift, not changes in relaxation. We can certainly discuss relaxation if you want, but it is a little more complicated than frequency.

I understood the physics behind NMR is similar like the physics behind the MRI.

Is relaxation underlies more to mri then for NMR? What is the difference in a few words

Between NMR and MRI from the Physics view?

offerbh said:
I understood the physics behind NMR is similar like the physics behind the MRI.

Is relaxation underlies more to mri then for NMR?
The physics is the same. However, in MRI relaxation provides valuable clinical information while in NMR relaxation typically is not of interest and serves only to broaden the spectral peaks.

offerbh said:
What is the difference in a few words

Between NMR and MRI from the Physics view?
Gradients.

Hello again, I wanted to ask you about Pulse 90 and pulse 180 in MRI - I understand that the role of the 90 pulse is to separated the longitudinal magnetic of the proton from the external magnetic and this allowing measurement. Pulse also creates a common occurrence between the protons. Now we send a pulse of 180, which makes protons to change direction and save the proton consolidation (I do not know how this expression is called in English) - Is pulse 180 associated only T2 image?How?

Related to In what proton MRI is focusing ?

1. What is proton MRI and how does it work?

Proton MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is a non-invasive medical imaging technique that uses magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. It works by aligning the protons (hydrogen atoms) in the body's tissues with a strong magnetic field, and then stimulating them with radio waves. As the protons return to their original alignment, they emit signals that are processed by a computer to create images.

2. What is the role of focusing in proton MRI?

Focusing is an important aspect of proton MRI as it allows for a clearer and more detailed image to be produced. In proton MRI, the magnetic field strength and radiofrequency pulse are adjusted to focus on a specific area of the body, which increases the sensitivity and resolution of the image.

3. How is focusing achieved in proton MRI?

Focusing in proton MRI is achieved through a process called magnetic field gradient. This involves varying the strength of the magnetic field in different areas of the body, which helps to focus the radiofrequency pulse on a specific location. Additionally, advanced imaging techniques such as parallel imaging and multi-channel coils can also help to improve focusing in proton MRI.

4. What are the benefits of focusing in proton MRI?

The main benefit of focusing in proton MRI is the production of high-quality images that can aid in the diagnosis and treatment of various medical conditions. Focusing also allows for faster scan times, which can improve patient comfort and reduce the risk of motion artifacts in the final images.

5. Are there any limitations to focusing in proton MRI?

While focusing is crucial for producing high-quality images in proton MRI, it can also be challenging to achieve in certain areas of the body, such as the lungs or abdomen. This is due to the presence of air or dense structures, which can distort the magnetic field and affect the focusing of the radiofrequency pulse. However, advancements in technology and imaging techniques continue to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of focusing in proton MRI.