Incident, reflected, transmitted waves

• Thread starter v_pino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the reflected wave and transmitted wave on a string by applying boundary conditions and using the chain rule. The hint provided is to use the chain rule to find the derivatives needed.
v_pino

Homework Statement

Suppose you send an incident wave of specified shape, g_I(z - v_1 * t ) , down string
number 1. It gives rise to a reflected wave, h_R(z + v_1 *t ) , and a transmitted wave,
g_T(z - v_2 *t). By imposing the boundary conditions, find h_R and g_T.

Homework Equations

I know that the boundary conditions are such that the first derivative and second derivative of the sum of the waves on one side is equal to the of the other side.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that from boundary condition 1, gI(-v_1 *t) + h_R(v_1 *t) = g_T(-v_2 *t).

How do I proceed from this? The hint given is that dg_I/dz = (-1/v_1)*(dg_I / dt). I've tried chain rule with that but I can't get the minus sign.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you cannot derive the hint? It is indeed an application of the chain rule. Let u = z - v1t and use [itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=-v_1\frac{\partial g}{\partial u}[/itex] and similarly with respect to z then put it together.

FAQ: Incident, reflected, transmitted waves

What are the types of waves produced during an incident?

During an incident, three types of waves are produced: incident waves, reflected waves, and transmitted waves. Incident waves are the original waves that strike an object or boundary, reflected waves are the waves that bounce back from the boundary, and transmitted waves are the waves that pass through the boundary and continue to travel.

How do incident, reflected, and transmitted waves differ?

Incident, reflected, and transmitted waves differ in their direction of travel and amplitude. Incident waves travel towards the boundary with a certain amplitude, while reflected waves travel away from the boundary with a smaller amplitude. Transmitted waves travel through the boundary with a different amplitude depending on the properties of the medium.

What factors affect the reflection of waves?

The reflection of waves is affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium, and the nature of the boundary. The angle of incidence determines the angle at which the reflected wave will bounce off the boundary. The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, determine the speed and amplitude of the reflected wave. The nature of the boundary, whether it is smooth or rough, can also affect the reflection of waves.

How are incident, reflected, and transmitted waves used in practical applications?

Incident, reflected, and transmitted waves have various practical applications in fields such as seismology, medical imaging, and telecommunications. In seismology, these waves are used to study the Earth's interior and detect earthquakes. In medical imaging, they are used to create images of internal body structures. In telecommunications, they are used in fiber optic cables to transmit information over long distances.

What happens to the energy of incident waves after they are reflected or transmitted?

When incident waves strike a boundary, some of their energy is reflected back and some is transmitted through the boundary. The amount of energy that is reflected or transmitted depends on the properties of the medium and the nature of the boundary. In general, the total energy of the incident wave is conserved, but it may be distributed differently between the reflected and transmitted waves.

Back