Incircle and circumscribed circle prove :d=√(R(R−2r))

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the formula for finding the distance (d) between the incircle and circumscribed circle is d = √(R(R-2r)), derived from the Pythagorean theorem. This formula can be used for any triangle and is significant for various geometric and trigonometric problems. Other important properties include the difference in radii and the relationship between the two circles and the perimeter of the triangle.
Albert1
$\triangle ABC$ with its incircle $I$ (radius $r$)
and circumscribed circle $O$ (radius $R$)
the distance between points $O$(circumcenter) and $I$(incenter) is $d$
prove:$d=\sqrt {R(R-2r)}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Albert said:
$\triangle ABC$ with its incircle $I$ (radius $r$)
and circumscribed circle $O$ (radius $R$)
the distance between points $O$(circumcenter) and $I$(incenter) is $d$
prove:$d=\sqrt {R(R-2r)}$
$d=\sqrt{R^2-2Rr}$
View attachment 6507

Attachments

• d=OI=(R^2-2Rr)^.5.jpg
    d=OI=(R^2-2Rr)^.5.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Incircle and circumscribed circle prove :d=√(R(R−2r))

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between the incircle and circumscribed circle?

The formula for finding the distance (d) between the incircle and circumscribed circle is: d = √(R(R-2r)), where R is the radius of the circumscribed circle and r is the radius of the incircle.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (a and b). In this case, the hypotenuse is the distance between the center of the circumscribed circle and the center of the incircle, and the other two sides are the radii of the circumscribed and incircle.

3. Can this formula be used for any triangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any triangle, as long as the triangle has a circumscribed and incircle. It is valid for all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

4. What is the significance of this formula?

This formula is useful for calculating the distance between the incircle and circumscribed circle, which can be used in various geometric and trigonometric problems. It also provides insight into the relationship between the two circles and their radii.

5. Are there any other important properties related to the incircle and circumscribed circle?

Yes, there are several other important properties related to these circles, such as the fact that the radius of the incircle is always smaller than the radius of the circumscribed circle. Additionally, the distance between the two circles is equal to the perimeter of the triangle divided by 2.