Inclination of Meteorids and Craters

• Thread starter theIBnerd
  • Start date
In summary, the angle of impact of meteoroids does have an effect on the radius of craters they create. Low angle impacts tend to be more elongated while impacts between 45 and 90 degrees show virtually no difference in crater radius. For more information on this subject, "Impact Cratering: a Geological Process" by H.J. Melosh of U. Arizona is a recommended resource. It should also be noted that velocity may also play a role in the relationship between angle of impact and crater radius.
theIBnerd
Hi! I have a quick question: Does the angle of impact (inclination) of meteorids effect the radius of craters they create? If so, does the radius increase as the angle increases? (the angle is between 0 and [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex])
thank you :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Small rocks in space are meteoroids. When they enter the Earth's atmosphere, they are meteors. When they strike the ground, they are meteorites.

Yes, low angle impacts are more elongated than more perpendicular impacts, but these angles are relatively low (<15 degrees). For impacts between 45 and 90 degrees, there is virtually no difference in crater radius.

For more info on the subject, check out "Impact Cratering: a Geological Process" by H.J. Melosh of U. Arizona. This is a top notch book on the subject.

DuaneH said:
Yes, low angle impacts are more elongated than more perpendicular impacts, but these angles are relatively low (<15 degrees). For impacts between 45 and 90 degrees, there is virtually no difference in crater radius.

well, thanks a lot! :) that was what i observed during the experiment too. (Although it turned out to be wrongly designed as i couldn't stabilize the velocity at the instance of impact between different angles.)
I guess i will investigate the relation between velocity and crater radius.
anyway, thank you for your reply.

FAQ: Inclination of Meteorids and Craters

1. What is the inclination of meteoroids?

The inclination of meteoroids refers to the angle at which they enter the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in degrees and can vary greatly depending on the origin and trajectory of the meteoroid.

2. How does the inclination of a meteoroid affect the size of its crater?

The inclination of a meteoroid can greatly impact the size of the crater it creates upon impact. A steeper angle of entry will result in a smaller, more concentrated impact site, while a shallower angle will result in a larger, more spread out crater.

3. Can the inclination of a meteoroid be predicted?

Yes, scientists can use various methods such as radar and telescopes to track and predict the trajectory and inclination of meteoroids. However, there are also many unpredictable factors that can affect the path of a meteoroid.

4. How does the inclination of a meteoroid affect its speed?

The inclination of a meteoroid can greatly impact its speed as it enters the Earth's atmosphere. A steeper angle of entry will result in a faster speed, while a shallower angle will result in a slower speed. This is due to the amount of friction and resistance the meteoroid experiences as it travels through the atmosphere.

5. Is there a relationship between the inclination of meteoroids and the location of craters on Earth?

Yes, there is a correlation between the inclination of meteoroids and the location of craters on Earth. Meteoroids with a steeper inclination are more likely to impact near the equator, while those with a shallower inclination are more likely to impact near the poles. This is due to the Earth's rotation and the direction of the meteoroids' trajectories.

Back