Inclined planes, Banked highways, and Normal force

In summary, the main difference between the inclined plane and banked curve problems is the presence of a third force. In the inclined plane, this third force is perpendicular to the normal force and is resolved parallel to it, while in the banked curve, the third force is horizontal and is resolved vertically. This is because in the banked curve, the third force is used to keep the car going around a vertical axis.
trogdor5
Alright, I don't have a specific homework problem here, just a general question. I've attached two pages that I will be referencing.

Figure 1. Inclined Plane
2Oi7y.jpg

As can be seen here, the FN = mgcos(∅)

Figure 2. Banked Curve
YFoXe.jpg

It seems as if the opposite is true here. FNcos(∅) = mg

The same holds true for the horizontal components. My question is, what is happening here? Why is there different notation all of a sudden. I completely understand the proof for the banked curve I just don't follow the inclined plane problem. It seems as if the two should be identical. What am I missing here?

Any effort would be extremely appreciated! Honestly, the work the guys who answer questions here is amazing and I really plan on contributing to the community when I feel I'm qualified to help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the third 'force' in each case.
For the inclined plane, the third force is perpendicular to the normal force. You can think of it as assisting the normal force in opposing gravity. To eliminate the third force you resolve parallel to the normal force.
For the banked curve, the third force (the resultant in this case) is the one required to keep the car going around a vertical axis, so is horizontal. Some of the normal force goes into providing that, and only what's left over gets to oppose gravity. To eliminate the third force you resolve vertically.

Oh wow, thank you very much! I get it now

Related to Inclined planes, Banked highways, and Normal force

1. How does an inclined plane reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that allows you to move an object from a lower height to a higher height with less force. This is because the length of the incline increases the distance over which the force is applied, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

2. What factors determine the amount of normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The amount of normal force on an object on an inclined plane is dependent on the weight of the object, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity. The steeper the incline, the greater the normal force needed to balance the weight of the object.

3. How does the banking of a highway affect the normal force on a car?

The banking of a highway allows for a curve in the road without the need for friction to keep the car from sliding off. This is because the normal force, which is perpendicular to the surface of the road, increases as the angle of the bank increases. This helps to keep the car on the road and reduces the amount of friction needed.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the amount of force needed to move an object up the plane?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force needed to move an object up the plane. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is pulling it down the incline, making it harder to move against.

5. How does the normal force on an object change if the object is on a level surface compared to an inclined plane?

If an object is on a level surface, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the object. However, on an inclined plane, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object. This is because the weight of the object is divided into two components: the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline and the normal force pushing against the incline.