Inclined Planes - Multiple Ones

In summary, the conversation discusses using an inclined plane at 60 degrees to calculate the force and final velocity of a freight car. The problem arises when the car rolls onto another inclined plane at a less steep angle and then onto another inclined plane in the opposite direction. The method of calculating the force and final velocity involves using conservation of energy or the work-energy theorem, and possibly a coefficient of restitution if the bottom of the V is sharp.
drizzt56
This isn't exactly a specific question, but it is part of my homework (project). Anyways, suppose I have an inclined plane at 60 degrees. I can measure the mass of a freight car on top of the plane to calculate the force and final velocity of that car... I did this before in physics, and it filled up half a page of math so I won't elaborate too much. The problem is then what happens to these values when the car rolls on another inclined plane connected to the first at a less steep angle, like 45 degrees? What would happen to its final velocity if after it hits this less steep inclined plane, it hits an inclined plane in the opposite direction? The setup would look something like V, except each side isn't one uniform plane, but two that's inclined at different angles. Can someone show me how to calculate the force, final velocity, etc of the car? For example purposes, assume the car is 1kg and just make up heights for the inclined planes.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi drizzt56! welcome to pf! :wink:

it'll just get stuck at the bottom of the V, won't it? :confused:

but if it does somehow manage to carry on, just use conservation of energy if the slopes are frictionless, and the work-energy theorem if they aren't :smile:

(and you'll need a coefficient of restitution if the bottom of the V is sharp, so that it "bounces")

FAQ: Inclined Planes - Multiple Ones

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat, sloped surface. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

How many types of inclined planes are there?

There are three main types of inclined planes: the wedge, the screw, and the ramp. Each type has a different shape and is used for different purposes, but they all function based on the same principle.

What is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is the ratio of the length of the slope to the height of the inclined plane. This ratio represents how much the force required to move an object up the inclined plane is reduced compared to the force needed to lift it straight up.

How does an inclined plane make work easier?

An inclined plane makes work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height. This is because the longer distance over which the force is applied allows for a smaller force to be used to achieve the same result.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in many everyday objects, such as ramps used for loading and unloading heavy objects, escalators and staircases, and even playground slides. Inclined planes are also used in large-scale structures, such as roads and highways, to make it easier for vehicles to traverse steep inclines.