Include Sun's Diameter in Star Distance Measurement?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, when using the Trigonomic method to measure the distance of stars from Earth, the baseline of the triangle should only include the size of Earth's orbit and not the diameter of the Sun. The Sun's position near the center of the orbit should not affect the measurement.
DB
When measuring the distance of stars from the Earth using the Trigonomic method, using the parralax and Pythagorem theory, do you include the diameter of the sun with the 2 Au when measuring the baseline of the triangle?

I'm assuming yes, but not sure.

Ty

Astronomy news on Phys.org
DB said:
When measuring the distance of stars from the Earth using the Trigonomic method, using the parralax and Pythagorem theory, do you include the diameter of the sun with the 2 Au when measuring the baseline of the triangle?

I'm assuming yes, but not sure.

Ty
No. You're just using the size of the Earth's orbit. The Sun just happens to be (near) the center. (Ellipse, you know)

thnx i can see it now

FAQ: Include Sun's Diameter in Star Distance Measurement?

1. What is a quick question?

A quick question is a short, concise inquiry that can be answered quickly and easily.

2. Why are quick questions important in science?

Quick questions are important in science because they allow for efficient communication and problem-solving. They can also help to clarify complex concepts and gather important information.

3. How do you come up with a quick question?

To come up with a quick question, it's important to first identify the specific topic or problem you are interested in. Then, focus on asking a clear and specific question that can be answered in a brief and straightforward manner.

4. Can a quick question be a good research question?

Yes, a quick question can be a good research question if it is well-defined and can be answered through a quick and efficient research process. However, some complex topics may require more in-depth research and a longer research question.

5. How can I use quick questions to improve my scientific research?

Quick questions can be used to improve scientific research by encouraging critical thinking and identifying areas for further investigation. By asking quick questions, scientists can also gain a better understanding of a topic and generate new ideas for future research.

Back