Inclusion-Exclusion Principle (Probability) - Bonferroni inequalities

In summary, the section is discussing the proof of the upper and lower bounds of the inclusion-exclusion principle in basic probability. The author mentions "fixing i" twice and the need for defining variables A_i to apply the inequality. By defining A_i as E_iE_j where j<i, the inequality can be simplified to prove the desired bounds.
icystrike

Homework Statement

Hi PF! I am studying from a book - A first course in probability by Sheldon Ross, and I have came across this section whereby the are trying to prove the upper bound (equations 4.1 and 4.3) and lower bound (equation 4.2) of the inclusion-exclusion principle from basic probability. The section has been attached below:

However, I have not clearly understood two parts that have been stated in the attachment. The two parts are stated below;

1) They have mentioned "fixing [itex] i [/itex] " twice in the book, and what do they mean by that? I don't see the need for me to fix any "variable".

2) How can they simply get [itex] P(U_{j<i} E_{i}E_{j}) \geq \sum_{j<i}P(E_{i}E_{j}) - \sum_{k<j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{i}E_{k})[/itex] from (4.2)? What are the considerations that have to be made? My concern is towards the [itex] P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{i}E_{k})[/itex] of the equation.

Thanks in advanced :)

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:

Homework Statement

Hi PF! I am studying from a book - A first course in probability by Sheldon Ross, and I have came across this section whereby the are trying to prove the upper bound (equations 4.1 and 4.3) and lower bound (equation 4.2) of the inclusion-exclusion principle from basic probability. The section has been attached below:

However, I have not clearly understood two parts that have been stated in the attachment. The two parts are stated below;

1) They have mentioned "fixing [itex] i [/itex] " twice in the book, and what do they mean by that? I don't see the need for me to fix any "variable".

2) How can they simply get [itex] P(U_{j<i} E_{i}E_{j}) \geq \sum_{j<i}P(E_{i}E_{j}) - \sum_{k<j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{i}E_{k})[/itex] from (4.2)? What are the considerations that have to be made? My concern is towards the [itex] P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{i}E_{k})[/itex] of the equation.

There are numerous editions of Ross' books, and different editions have different numbers of chapters, sections, etc. I have two of his books remaining (after retiring and downsizing) but cannot find the information you speak of in either book. Please just write out here the actual material that is causing you problems.

Hi Ray!

Thank you for your reply. I have actually attached the cited material as attachment in my previous post. Please let me know if you are able to access the "jpeg" file.

With regards

icystrike said:
Hi Ray!

Thank you for your reply. I have actually attached the cited material as attachment in my previous post. Please let me know if you are able to access the "jpeg" file.

With regards

In my browser the attachments do not appear; are you sure you followed PF instructions about including attachements?

My apologies, I have updated the link again. Please refer to the first post again :)

icystrike said:

Homework Statement

For (2): say we have ##E_1E_2 \cup E_1E_3 \cup E_2E_3.## Let ##A_1 = E_1E_2,\, A_2 = E_1 E_3,\, A_3 = E_2 E_3.## Now apply the inequality [tex] P(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup A_3) \geq \sum_l P(A_l) - \sum_{l < m} P(A_l A_m).[/tex]

Thanks Ray!

Do you mean that I can define [itex]A_{i}=E_{i}E_{j}[/itex] such that [itex] j<i [/itex] and likewise, [itex]A_{j}=E_{j}E_{k}[/itex] such that [itex] k<j[/itex].

Hence, [itex] P(\bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i}) \geq \sum_{i=1}^{n} P(A_{i}) - \sum_{j<i} P(A_{i}A_{j}) [/itex]

[itex] P(\bigcup_{j<i}^{n} E_{i}E_{j}) \geq \sum_{j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}) - \sum_{k<j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{j}E_{k}) [/itex]

[itex] P(\bigcup_{j<i}^{n} E_{i}E_{j}) \geq \sum_{j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}) - \sum_{k<j<i} P(E_{i}E_{j}E_{k}) [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Inclusion-Exclusion Principle (Probability) - Bonferroni inequalities

1. What is the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle in probability?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is a mathematical method used to calculate the probability of the union of events or the intersection of events. It states that the total probability of multiple events occurring is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities minus the sum of the probabilities of their intersections.

2. What is the Bonferroni inequality?

The Bonferroni inequality is a statistical tool used to calculate a lower bound for the probability of the union of events. It is derived from the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle and is used to find a more precise estimate for the probability of multiple events occurring.

3. When should the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle be used?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is typically used when calculating the probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously. It is especially useful when the events are not mutually exclusive, meaning they can occur together.

4. What is the formula for the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle?

The formula for the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is as follows: P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B), where P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring, P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring, and P(A ∩ B) represents the probability of both events occurring together.

5. How does the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle relate to set theory?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is closely related to set theory. In set theory, the union of two sets A and B (A ∪ B) represents all elements that are in either set A or set B. The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is used to calculate the probability of the union of two events, which can be thought of as similar to the union of two sets in set theory.