Incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state

In summary, to derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature, the equations PV = nRT and n = m/M were used, along with the consideration of density as n/V. Using these equations, it was found that the final equation should be P/ρ = RT, not P/ρ = RT/M. This is because ρ represents molar density, not mass density.
Portuga
Homework Statement
Derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature.
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
To solve this problem I used two equations:
$$
PV=nRT,
$$
where ##P## is the pressure, ##V##the volume, ##R##the gas constant, ##T##for temperature and is##n##the number of moles, related to the
mass ##m## and molar mass ##M## by
$$
n=\frac{m}{M}.
$$
It will be also necessary consider the density ##\rho## as
$$
\rho=\frac{m}{V}.
$$

So,
\begin{align}
& PV=\frac{m}{M}RT\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\frac{m}{V}}=\frac{RT}{M}\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}.\nonumber
\end{align}
When I checked the answer, to my surprise I found
$$
\frac{P}{\rho}=RT.
$$
I am so confused because this is so simple and I have no idea about
what to do with the molar mass##M##to get the answer provided by the author.

Physics news on Phys.org
Portuga said:
Homework Statement:: Derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature.
Relevant Equations:: PV = nRT

To solve this problem I used two equations:
$$
PV=nRT,
$$
where ##P## is the pressure, ##V##the volume, ##R##the gas constant, ##T##for temperature and is##n##the number of moles, related to the
mass ##m## and molar mass ##M## by
$$
n=\frac{m}{M}.
$$
It will be also necessary consider the density ##\rho## as
$$
\rho=\frac{m}{V}.
$$

So,
\begin{align}
& PV=\frac{m}{M}RT\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\frac{m}{V}}=\frac{RT}{M}\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}.\nonumber
\end{align}
When I checked the answer, to my surprise I found
$$
\frac{P}{\rho}=RT.
$$
I am so confused because this is so simple and I have no idea about
what to do with the molar mass##M##to get the answer provided by the author.
In that final equation, ##\rho## is the molar density n/V, not the mass density m/V.

• Love
Likes MatinSAR and Portuga
Thank u very much!

Related to Incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state

What is the ideal gas equation of state?

The ideal gas equation of state is a mathematical relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and the number of moles (n) of a gas, expressed as PV = nRT, where R is the universal gas constant. This equation assumes that the gas molecules do not interact with each other and occupy no volume.

Why do real gases deviate from the ideal gas equation?

Real gases deviate from the ideal gas equation because the assumptions of non-interacting particles and negligible volume are not valid at high pressures and low temperatures. Under these conditions, intermolecular forces and the finite volume of gas molecules become significant, leading to deviations from ideal behavior.

What are common equations of state used to describe real gases?

Common equations of state used to describe real gases include the Van der Waals equation, the Redlich-Kwong equation, and the Peng-Robinson equation. These equations introduce correction factors to account for intermolecular forces and the finite volume of gas molecules, improving the accuracy of predictions for real gas behavior.

How do Van der Waals constants correct the ideal gas equation?

The Van der Waals equation introduces two constants, a and b, to correct the ideal gas equation. The constant 'a' accounts for the attractive forces between gas molecules, while 'b' accounts for the finite volume occupied by the gas molecules. The modified equation is (P + a(n/V)^2)(V - nb) = nRT, providing a more accurate description of real gas behavior.

In what scenarios is the ideal gas equation still applicable?

The ideal gas equation is still applicable in scenarios where the gas molecules are at low pressure and high temperature, conditions under which intermolecular forces and the volume of gas molecules are negligible. Under these conditions, the behavior of real gases closely approximates that of an ideal gas, making the ideal gas equation a useful approximation.