Inconsistent Radiation Questions

• Thread starter davidwinth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for the temperature of a sphere that is radiating to an environment with a constant heat generated within itself. The formula is then compared to a scenario where there are two concentric spheres, one with the same properties as the original sphere and the other being super large, adiabatic, and at the temperature of the ambient. The conversation delves into the 4 radiosity equations and the assumptions made in this scenario. Ultimately, the question arises as to why the second equation, which introduces the assumption of the ambient being a sphere, does not give the same result as the original formula.
davidwinth
I have a formula for a sphere radiating to the environment where the environment is not at zero temperature. The sphere has a constant heat generated within itself. The formula for the temperature of the sphere under these conditions is:

##T_s = \left( \frac{Q_{gen}}{A_s \sigma \epsilon} + {T_{amb}^4} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}}##

Where ##Q_{gen}## is in Watts and the subscript s refers to the sphere while the subscript amb refers to ambient. Fine and good, but I wanted to see if I could derive this equation from a circumstance where there are two concentric spheres, the inside sphere is identical to the above sphere and the outside sphere is super large, adiabatic, and at the temperature of the ambient.

My starting point are the 4 radiosity equation in 4 unknowns given by Nellis & Klein, i.e.,

##Q_{gen1} = \frac{\epsilon_1 A_1(E_{b1} - J_1)}{1-\epsilon_1}##
##Q_{gen2} = \frac{\epsilon_2 A_2(E_{b2} - J_2)}{1-\epsilon_2}##

and

##Q_{gen1} = A_1 F_{12}(J_1- J_2)##
##Q_{gen2} = A_2 F_{21}(J_2- J_1)##

Solving the first set of equations for the radiosity gives:

##J_1 = E_{b1} - \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1}##
##J_2 = E_{b2} - \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2}##

Now plugging these into the second set of equations gives (after some algebra):

##Q_{gen1} = A_1 F_{12} \left( E_{b1} - \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1} - E_{b2} + \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2}\right)##
##Q_{gen2} = A_2 F_{21} \left( E_{b2} - \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2} - E_{b1} + \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1}\right)##

So these are general, but now I introduce the assumptions above, namely

##Q_{gen2} = 0##
##F_{12} = 1##
##F_{21} {A_2} = A_1##
##A_2 \rightarrow \infty##

The first equation results in:

##Q_{gen1}\left( \frac{1}{\epsilon_1}\right) = A_1(E_{b1} - E_{b2})##

Which is identical to my formula above. Great, that is what I was hoping would happen! But the second equation gives:

##Q_{gen1} \left( \frac{1}{\epsilon_1} -1 \right)= A_1(E_{b1} - E_{b2})##

This is not the same result. My question, what happened? Shouldn't both equations give the same values?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
[
davidwinth said:
I have a formula for a sphere radiating to the environment where the environment is not at zero temperature. The sphere has a constant heat generated within itself. The formula for the temperature of the sphere under these conditions is:

##T_s = \left( \frac{Q_{gen}}{A_s \sigma \epsilon} + {T_{amb}^4} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}}##

Where ##Q_{gen}## is in Watts and the subscript s refers to the sphere while the subscript amb refers to ambient. Fine and good, but I wanted to see if I could derive this equation from a circumstance where there are two concentric spheres, the inside sphere is identical to the above sphere and the outside sphere is super large, adiabatic, and at the temperature of the ambient.

My starting point are the 4 radiosity equation in 4 unknowns given by Nellis & Klein, i.e.,

##Q_{gen1} = \frac{\epsilon_1 A_1(E_{b1} - J_1)}{1-\epsilon_1}##
##Q_{gen2} = \frac{\epsilon_2 A_2(E_{b2} - J_2)}{1-\epsilon_2}##

and

##Q_{gen1} = A_1 F_{12}(J_1- J_2)##
##Q_{gen2} = A_2 F_{21}(J_2- J_1)##

Solving the first set of equations for the radiosity gives:

##J_1 = E_{b1} - \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1}##
##J_2 = E_{b2} - \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2}##

Now plugging these into the second set of equations gives (after some algebra):

##Q_{gen1} = A_1 F_{12} \left( E_{b1} - \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1} - E_{b2} + \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2}\right)##
##Q_{gen2} = A_2 F_{21} \left( E_{b2} - \frac{Q_{gen2} (1 - \epsilon_2)}{\epsilon_2 A_2} - E_{b1} + \frac{Q_{gen1} (1 - \epsilon_1)}{\epsilon_1 A_1}\right)##

So these are general, but now I introduce the assumptions above, namely

##Q_{gen2} = 0##
##F_{12} = 1##
##F_{21} {A_2} = A_1##
##A_2 \rightarrow \infty##

The first equation results in:

##Q_{gen1}\left( \frac{1}{\epsilon_1}\right) = A_1(E_{b1} - E_{b2})##

Which is identical to my formula above. Great, that is what I was hoping would happen! But the second equation gives:

##Q_{gen1} \left( \frac{1}{\epsilon_1} -1 \right)= A_1(E_{b1} - E_{b2})##

This is not the same result. My question, what happened? Shouldn't both equations give the same values?
I have no idea idea about the source you quote.
For a gray body with emissivity ##\epsilon## your result follows immediately from detailed balance$$ \epsilon\sigma{T_s}^4-\epsilon\sigma{T_{amb}}^4=\frac Q A_s$$
A more likely complication is that the body will not be gray in which case this would be true only for a given frequency and one would need to integrate over the spectrum at the two temperatures giving an effective value for each ##\epsilon## at Temp.

Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:
[
I have no idea idea about the source you quote.
For a gray body with emissivity ##\epsilon## your result follows immediately from detailed balance$$ \epsilon\sigma{T_s}^4-\epsilon\sigma{T_{amb}}^4=\frac Q A_s$$
A more likely complication is that the body will not be gray in which case this would be true only for a given frequency and one would need to integrate over the spectrum at the two temperatures giving an effective value for each ##\epsilon## at Temp.

Right, I know how to get my result for the case without an external sphere. I am wondering how to get the same result if I come at it by assuming the ambient is a sphere. I am quoting the textbook Heat Transfer by Nellis and Klein, which is a widely used textbook.

If the first sphere is encased in an identical larger sphere, then you just have a bigger sphere. If that is not the setup, a drawing is necessary. ( sorry I don't have Nellis at al )

N.B. It appears to me that your assumptions require ##F_{21}=0## for consistency. That will eliminate the pesky equation I think. Otherwise I'm shooting in the dark here!

Likes 256bits
hutchphd said:
If the first sphere is encased in an identical larger sphere, then you just have a bigger sphere. If that is not the setup, a drawing is necessary. ( sorry I don't have Nellis at al )
That is a problem with my description. The outer sphere is just a surface, not a solid. There is vacuum between the outer surface of the inner sphere and the larger shell.

Last edited:
hutchphd said:
N.B. It appears to me that your assumptions require ##F_{21}=0## for consistency. That will eliminate the pesky equation I think. Otherwise I'm shooting in the dark here!
I would think that would be the asymptote for the outer sphere approaching infinite distance, so it does make sense to me.

I discovered the problem. It was the assumption of the larger sphere being adiabatic. When that assumption is dropped, both equations agree.

Likes hutchphd

Related to Inconsistent Radiation Questions

1. What causes inconsistent radiation levels?

There are several factors that can contribute to inconsistent radiation levels, including changes in weather patterns, natural variations in the Earth's magnetic field, and human activities such as nuclear testing or accidents.

2. How can inconsistent radiation levels affect human health?

Inconsistent radiation levels can have both short-term and long-term effects on human health. In the short-term, exposure to high levels of radiation can cause radiation sickness, while long-term exposure can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer.

3. What measures can be taken to reduce inconsistent radiation levels?

To reduce inconsistent radiation levels, it is important to monitor and regulate sources of radiation, such as nuclear power plants or medical equipment. Additionally, individuals can take precautions such as limiting their exposure to radiation and following safety protocols when handling radioactive materials.

4. How can we accurately measure inconsistent radiation levels?

There are various tools and techniques that can be used to measure inconsistent radiation levels, including dosimeters, Geiger counters, and spectroscopy. These devices measure the amount of radiation present in a given area and provide accurate readings.

5. What is the role of scientists in addressing inconsistent radiation levels?

Scientists play a crucial role in studying and understanding the causes and effects of inconsistent radiation levels. They also work to develop technologies and strategies for monitoring and reducing radiation levels, as well as educating the public about the potential risks and safety measures.