Increasing / decreasing functions

In summary, the correct statement is: If f is continuous, differentiable, and 1-1, then either f' ≥ 0 for all x or f' ≤ 0 for all x.
Darth Frodo
I juat have a quick question.

Which of these is correct;

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is increasing

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is non-decreasing.

I think number one but I'm just not 100% sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What about f(x) = arctan (x).

Darth Frodo said:
I juat have a quick question.

Which of these is correct;

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is increasing

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is non-decreasing.

I think number one but I'm just not 100% sure.

Thanks

It the function f1(x) = 1 - exp(-x) 1:1? If f1'(x) increasing? Is the function f2(x) = exp(x) 1:1? is f2'(x) increasing? Is f3(x) = arctan(x) 1:1? Is f3'(x) increasing everywhere? Is it decreasing everywhere?

RGV

arctan in 1:1 and it looks as if it's always increasing.

What I want to know is that if a function is non-decreasing (i.e. a straight line) is it 1:1

Suppose f(x) is a one to one function. So if f(x) = f(y) then x = y.

RGV gave a good example of a function that shoots down your theory, either one of them since they both mean the same thing.

Take f(x) = 1 - e-x. f'(x) = e-x.

So first note that f(x) is 1-1 and increasing. Now, f'(x) on the other hand is actually decreasing.

So it is not true that : If f(x) is 1-1, then f'(x) is decreasing.

To answer your other question about "what if f is a straight line" consider f(x) = c for some constant real number c.

There are infinitely many choices of x that give the same value for f, so the function is not 1-1.

Ah right thanks Zondrina.

Yeah apologies for the confusion but I wrote it down incorrectly. I meant always increasing or always decreasing.

Thanks for the clarification

I don't mean to belabor the point, but if your function is 1-1 it need not be increasing or decreasing. e.g. Let f(x) = 1/x for negative x, f(x) = x for x greater than or equal to 0.

However, if f(x) is continuous and 1-1, then it is true that f must either be increasing or decreasing.

Also, if f is differentiable, and 1-1, then either [itex] f'(x) \geq 0 [/itex] for all x. OR [itex] f'(x)\leq 0 [/itex] for all x.

Yeah, I was referring to Continuous functions, apologies.

Regarding your last point, if f'(x) = 0 doesn't this mean that f is not 1-1?

It depends on the set of values x such that f'(x)=0. The derivative can be zero at isolated points. For example, if f(x)=x^3, then f'(0)=0. You could even come up with examples where f'(x)=0 for an infinite number of x values. For example, if f(x)=x-sin(x), then f'(x)=1-cos(x) which equals 0 at all integer multiples of 2*pi, but is otherwise positive.

It is even possible for f'(x) to be zero at an infinite number of points in a finite interval. For example, suppose
[itex] f'(x) = x^2 sin^2(\pi / x) [/itex]
This is 0 at all points x=1/n, but otherwise positive.

The technical requirement is that if f' ≥ 0 then f is strictly increasing if and only if the set of points x such that f'(x)=0 has measure 0.

Last edited:

Related to Increasing / decreasing functions

1. What is an increasing function?

An increasing function is a mathematical function where the output values (y) increase as the input values (x) increase. This means that as x increases, y also increases. Graphically, an increasing function appears as a line that slopes upwards from left to right.

2. How can you determine if a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, you can look at its graph. If the graph slopes upwards from left to right, the function is increasing. If the graph slopes downwards from left to right, the function is decreasing. Another way is to calculate the derivative of the function. If the derivative is positive, the function is increasing, and if the derivative is negative, the function is decreasing.

3. What is the difference between an increasing and a decreasing function?

An increasing function is a mathematical function where the output values (y) increase as the input values (x) increase. On the other hand, a decreasing function is a mathematical function where the output values (y) decrease as the input values (x) increase. Graphically, an increasing function appears as a line that slopes upwards from left to right, while a decreasing function appears as a line that slopes downwards from left to right.

4. Can a function be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a function cannot be both increasing and decreasing. A function can be either increasing or decreasing, but not both at the same time. This is because the slope of the graph of an increasing function is always positive, while the slope of the graph of a decreasing function is always negative.

5. How can you increase or decrease a function's rate of change?

You can increase or decrease a function's rate of change by adjusting its input values (x). To increase the rate of change, you can increase the input values, and vice versa to decrease the rate of change. Another way is to manipulate the function's equation or formula, for example, by adding or subtracting a constant value.