Independence of Trace-Partition function

In summary, the partition function for a system of two completely decoupled subsystems can be calculated by taking the product of the partition functions for each subsystem. This can be seen by considering the Gibbs distribution for each subsystem and taking into account their statistical independence. The resulting partition function is equal to the trace of the exponential of the Hamiltonian for each subsystem multiplied together.
George444fg
TL;DR Summary
Partition Function of a separable hamiltonian
I am trying to calculate the partition function of the system of two completely decoupled systems. Probability-wise, the decoupled nature means that the PDF is the product of the PDF of each subsystem. I just wanted to be sure that it would translate into:

$$
H = \sum_{k_i, s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)}e^{H_k(k_i)} = \sum_{k_i}(\sum_{s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)})e^{H_k(k_i)} = \sum_{s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)}\sum_{k_i}e^{H_k(k_i)} = Tr(e^{H_s(s_i)})*Tr(e^{H_k(k_i)})
$$

I know the question seems trivial, but I got a bit confused, and I would like to be 100% sure. Thank you for any help you can provide

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation seems rather awkward (the "##H##" on the left-hand-side of your formula has nothing to do with the "##H##'s" in the exponents), but essentially yes - your expression is correct.

You can also see that you're right by considering, e.g., the Gibbs distribution for the subsystem ##n## (with the Hamiltonian ##H_n##) at the given temperature ##T## (##k_B## below is the Boltzmann constant):
$$ p_n(T) = \frac{e^{-H_n/k_B T}}{Z_n(T)} \rm{,}$$
where ##Z_n(T)## is the partition function for this subsystem,
$$ Z_n(T) = \text{Tr}\{e^{-H_n/k_B T}\} \rm{.}$$
Now, if you have two statistically independent subsystems ##s## and ##k##, the probability density of the total system ##s+k## is a product, as you've already noted:
$$p_{sk}(T) = p_s(T) \cdot p_k(T) \rm{.}$$
From this you immediately obtain that the partition function for the total ##s+k## system is ##Z_{sk}(T) = Z_s(T) \cdot Z_k(T)## - which is the result you got at the rightmost hand-side of your formula.

FAQ: Independence of Trace-Partition function

What is the Independence of Trace-Partition function in the context of quantum mechanics?

The Independence of Trace-Partition function refers to a property in quantum mechanics where the trace of a partitioned quantum system remains invariant under certain operations. This concept is crucial in understanding how subsystems of a quantum system interact and evolve independently of each other.

Why is the Independence of Trace-Partition function important?

This property is important because it ensures that the overall statistical properties of a quantum system can be understood by examining its subsystems. It allows for simplifications in calculations and helps in the analysis of entanglement and correlations between different parts of a quantum system.

How is the Trace-Partition function used in quantum information theory?

In quantum information theory, the Trace-Partition function is used to analyze and quantify the information content and entropy of quantum states. It helps in the study of quantum entanglement, decoherence, and the behavior of quantum channels, which are essential for quantum computing and communication.

Can you provide an example of how the Independence of Trace-Partition function is applied?

An example of its application is in the study of entangled states. When a quantum system is partitioned into two subsystems, the trace of the density matrix of the entire system remains the same as the sum of the traces of the density matrices of each subsystem. This property is used to verify the entanglement and coherence properties of the system.

What mathematical tools are used to study the Independence of Trace-Partition function?

Mathematical tools such as linear algebra, tensor products, and the properties of density matrices are used to study the Independence of Trace-Partition function. Techniques from operator theory and functional analysis also play a significant role in understanding and proving this property in various quantum systems.

Back