Independent project on field theory

In summary, this girl is doing an independent project on field theory. She has done a good job of explaining what field theory is, but has not covered all the topics. She is also working on including Newtonian gravitation, electromagnetism, general relativity, QED, QCD, and spin in her project.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi all,

I am in 7th grade science, but I have a lot of interest in advanced physics (and I am really bored in class), so I am currently working on an independent project on field theory (both classical and quantum). I understand it well, although my background in calculus is not great (I have self-tought myself a lot and I pick up on topics easily, though advanced calculus is hard for me to pick up on). I am planning on doing this next year, and I need some more topics for someone at my level. Also, I will need to include astronomy and chemistry in it as 8th grade science includes those topics, so cosmology and advanced chemistry topics would be great too!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
o_O

How can you understand field theory well if you're having troubles with advanced calculus?

Likes QuantumCurt
Isaac0427 said:
I am currently working on an independent project on field theory (both classical and quantum).

Isaac0427 said:
I am planning on doing this next year
I am confused. Which is it?

Likes QuantumCurt
It is great that you have a strong interest in physics! At this point in your life, as the previous posters have noted, it is not reasonable to begin studying thing like field theories; you don't know the prerequisites. However, one thing you can do that will help you understand physics later is studying mathematics. There are many opportunities for high school students to demonstrate their abilities, such as challenging competitions that require significant study beyond a standard high school curriculum. There are many resources listed on this forum that can help you choose what things you should study.

To more specifically answer your question, what type of project is this? Is it for school (like a science fair) or independent?

Likes Isaac0427, Astronuc and micromass
I've got to agree with the previous posts...it would be incredibly difficult to have a good understanding of field theory without even having a solid background in calculus.

That being said, I can admire your enthusiasm. It's quite possible that you're simply approaching a topic that is way beyond what you've learned at this point. Field theory isn't even typically covered in an undergraduate physics degree. It is usually given its first treatment in graduate school. You might want to find a project that is more within the scope of your mathematical limitations. The bright side here is that there are TONS of awesome independent research projects that one can do in physics without having any mathematical knowledge beyond algebra, trigonometry, and very basic differential and integral calculus.

Likes Isaac0427 and micromass
one said:
To more specifically answer your question, what type of project is this? Is it for school (like a science fair) or independent?
It is an independent project (I am making a website on it).

My apologies guys, I don't think I am explaining this project correctly. I have first done a section explaining what field theory even is. I explained vectors, scalars, spinors, and tensors (I don't completely understand tensors, but my friends mom is a physicist and she is explaining them better to me). Then I had 6 sections on different fields and studies within field theory. I completely understand that this is not the full spectrum of field theory, or even a big part of it.
I included Newtonian gravitation, in which I explained all the equations, as well as most of the math for electromagnetism (the E and B fields).
The rest was not math-based, I just explained the main ideas of general relativity, QED, QCD (mainly color charges), and spin, specifically spin 1/2. I'm looking to possibly go a little deeper, but I don't know where to start.

FAQ: Independent project on field theory

1. What is field theory?

Field theory is a branch of physics that studies the interactions and properties of fields, which are physical quantities that exist throughout space and time. Examples of fields include the electric field, magnetic field, and gravitational field.

2. How is field theory applied in real life?

Field theory has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to understand and manipulate electromagnetic and gravitational fields, which are essential for technologies such as GPS, MRI, and satellite communications.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of fields at macroscopic scales, while quantum field theory takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of fields at microscopic scales. Classical field theory is used to study phenomena such as electricity and magnetism, while quantum field theory is used to study particles and their interactions.

4. What are some current research topics in field theory?

Some current research topics in field theory include dark matter and dark energy, quantum field theory in curved spacetime, and the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature. Other areas of interest include topological field theories, supersymmetry, and holography.

5. What skills are required to work in the field theory research?

To work in the field theory research, one needs to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. It also requires critical thinking skills, creativity, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Good communication skills are also essential for presenting and publishing research findings.