Index of refraction for violet light

In summary, the index of refraction for violet light in silica flint glass is 1.65 and for red light is 1.62. Using the equations provided, the angle of deviation for the red ray passing through a prism of apex angle 59.7 degrees and angle of incidence 47.4 degrees can be calculated. However, the angle of dispersion for visible light with the same angle of incidence is not correct. Further calculations may be needed to determine the correct angle of dispersion.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

The index of refraction for violet light in silica flint glass is 1.65 and for red light is 1.62.What is the angle of deviation for the red ray passing through a prism of apex angle 59.7 degrees. If the angle of incidence is 47.4 degrees.

Homework Equations

nglass sine theta3 = nredlight sine theta4
nredlight sine theta1 = nglass sine theta2

Angle of deviation = [theta 1 + theta 4 ] - apex angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equations to be used. but I don't understand the figure that accompanies this problem in the textbook. Can someone post a general picture, with all of these angles labeled and provide a starting thrust?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

itryphysics said:

Homework Statement

The index of refraction for violet light in silica flint glass is 1.65 and for red light is 1.62.What is the angle of deviation for the red ray passing through a prism of apex angle 59.7 degrees. If the angle of incidence is 47.4 degrees.

Homework Equations

nglass sine theta3 = nredlight sine theta4
nredlight sine theta1 = nglass sine theta2

Angle of deviation = [theta 1 + theta 4 ] - apex angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equations to be used. but I don't understand the figure that accompanies this problem in the textbook. Can someone post a general picture, with all of these angles labeled and provide a starting thrust?

Thank you!

I'd suggest that you make your own drawing, putting in the angles. The initial rays will coincide, but they will diverge on their way to the next internal surface. Use Snell's law to determine the first angles and that gives you the internal angles of incidence for the next surface (you know the apex angle) and then Snell's Law again should give you the external exit angle shouldn't it?

so for my answer i got 48.7 which was correct. Now i need to find the angle of dispersion of visible light with the same angle of incidence . So i found the angle of deviation for the violet light which was 52.27. then i subtracted the two to get the anglular dispersion which came out to be 3.57. but this is not correct. Please help

Related to Index of refraction for violet light

1. What is the index of refraction for violet light?

The index of refraction for violet light is approximately 1.53, which means that violet light travels 1.53 times slower in a medium compared to its speed in a vacuum.

2. How does the index of refraction for violet light compare to that of other colors?

The index of refraction for violet light is slightly higher than the average index of refraction for visible light, which is around 1.50. This means that violet light bends slightly more when passing through a medium compared to other colors.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction for violet light?

The index of refraction for violet light is affected by the density and composition of the medium it is passing through. It also varies with temperature and pressure.

4. What is the relationship between the index of refraction and the speed of light?

The index of refraction is inversely proportional to the speed of light in a medium. This means that as the index of refraction increases, the speed of light decreases.

5. How is the index of refraction for violet light used in scientific research?

The index of refraction for violet light is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as optics, astronomy, and materials science. It is used to calculate the bending of light in different mediums and to study the properties of different materials.