Indicial Notation 2: Proving $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} = 0$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: So, in summary, the last term of $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a}$ is 0 because we are taking an antisymmetric product and summing it over a symmetric expression, resulting in a value of 0.
Dustinsfl
Trying to show that $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} = 0$.
\begin{alignat}{3}
\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} & = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot(a_1\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i + a_2\hat{\mathbf{e}}_j+a_3\hat{\mathbf{e}}_k)\\
& = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot a_1\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i + \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot a_2\hat{\mathbf{e}}_j + \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot a_3\hat{\mathbf{e}}_k\\
& = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_ka_1(\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i) + \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_ka_2(\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot \hat{\mathbf{e}}_j) + \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_ka_3(\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot \hat{\mathbf{e}}_k)\\
& = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_ka_1
\end{alignat}
Why is this last term 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Trying to show that $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} = 0$.
\begin{alignat}{3}
\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} & = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot(a_1\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i + a_2\hat{\mathbf{e}}_j+a_3\hat{\mathbf{e}}_k)\\
& = & \varepsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i\cdot a_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i
Again, a small error.

[tex]\overrightarrow{a} \times \overrightarrow{b} \cdot \overrightarrow{a} = \epsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k \hat{\mathbf{e}}_i \cdot a_i \hat{\mathbf{e}}_i [/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{a} \times \overrightarrow{b} \cdot \overrightarrow{a} = \epsilon _{ijk}a_i a_j b_k[/tex]

Now, [tex]a_i a_j[/tex] is symmetric in i and j, but we are taking an antisymmetric product (from the epsilon) and summing it over a symmetric expression. This will always be zero. So

[tex]\overrightarrow{a} \times \overrightarrow{b} \cdot \overrightarrow{a} = 0[/tex]

-Dan

topsquark said:
Now, [tex]a_i a_j[/tex] is symmetric in i and j, but we are taking an antisymmetric product (from the epsilon) and summing it over a symmetric expression. This will always be zero.

I see.

Last edited:

Related to Indicial Notation 2: Proving $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} = 0$

1. What is indicial notation and how is it used in mathematical proofs?

Indicial notation is a mathematical notation system used to represent tensors, vectors, and matrices in a compact and simplified form. It uses indices to represent the components of these mathematical objects, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations. In proofs, indicial notation is often used to show the relationships between different mathematical quantities and to simplify complex equations.

2. What does the notation $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}$ represent?

The notation $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}$ represents the cross product of two vectors, which results in a vector that is perpendicular to both $\mathbf{a}$ and $\mathbf{b}$. This operation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of a force or torque.

3. How does the proof of $\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a} = 0$ involve indicial notation?

In the proof, indicial notation is used to represent the components of the vectors $\mathbf{a}$ and $\mathbf{b}$, as well as the resulting vector from the cross product. By manipulating the indices and using properties of the cross product, we can show that the dot product of the resulting vector with $\mathbf{a}$ is equal to zero, proving the statement.

4. Can indicial notation be used in any type of mathematical proof?

Indicial notation can be used in a variety of mathematical proofs, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and linear algebra. However, it may not be the most suitable notation for all types of proofs and may be more commonly used in proofs involving vectors and tensors.

5. What are some other common identities or equations that can be proven using indicial notation?

Indicial notation can be used to prove various identities and equations involving vectors and tensors, such as the distributive, associative, and commutative properties of the dot and cross product, as well as the triple product rule. It can also be used to prove the vector and tensor forms of equations such as the gradient, divergence, and curl, and the laws of motion in physics, such as Newton's second law and the conservation of angular momentum.