What are the Individual Capacitor Charges and Voltage in a Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the systematic process of solving for the total capacitance and cell voltage in a circuit with both series and parallel connections. It suggests using simultaneous equations and working backwards to split the circuit into separate parts and solve for the necessary variables.
Shiba Tatsuya

Homework Statement

the capacitance of each capacitors and the cell voltage

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the total capacitance = 8028/5333 uF
total voltage = 36v
total charge=289008/5333 uC

Attachments

• 25130120_1726398060724048_1055864124_o.jpg
    25130120_1726398060724048_1055864124_o.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
You should systematically split the total capacitance and the total charge. Each time there should be a simultaneous equation (one equation of capacitance and the other of charge).

I have a feeling I am suggesting the unnecessarily long way, there might be a shorter method.

lekh2003 said:
You should systematically split the total capacitance and the total charge. Each time there should be a simultaneous equation (one equation of capacitance and the other of charge).

I have a feeling I am suggesting the unnecessarily long way, there might be a shorter method.
but how? the at the top wiring it is a series connection but at the middle and the bottom, it is parallel :/

Shiba Tatsuya said:
but how? the at the top wiring it is a series connection but at the middle and the bottom, it is parallel :/
But you still know the equations for both. For know, combine anything parallel and make it series. Later, you can split them into parallel again by using the same backwards technique.

Let me get you started. Solve for the top part of the circuit and the two bottom parts combined. Then split the two bottom parts into separate parts. You will have three capacitances of three parts. You can continue.

lekh2003 said:
But you still know the equations for both. For know, combine anything parallel and make it series. Later, you can split them into parallel again by using the same backwards technique.

Let me get you started. Solve for the top part of the circuit and the two bottom parts combined. Then split the two bottom parts into separate parts. You will have three capacitances of three parts. You can continue.

by splitting, you mean dividing the result into two?

Shiba Tatsuya said:
by splitting, you mean dividing the result into two?
No, I mean going backward. Think about how the charge changes when you add parallely and how the capacitance changes when you add parallely. Then work backwards with the two equations.

For example, say I have the total capacitance and charge of a parallel circuit with two sections, C and Q. The upper section has capacitance and charge, C1 and Q1. The lower section has capacitance and charge, C2 and Q2. I know that Q1 + Q2 = Q and the same can be said for capacitance, because capacitances and charges add together when in parallel. Knowing that Q = CV, you can solve for the necessary variables.

lekh2003 said:
No, I mean going backward. Think about how the charge changes when you add parallely and how the capacitance changes when you add parallely. Then work backwards with the two equations.

For example, say I have the total capacitance and charge of a parallel circuit with two sections, C and Q. The upper section has capacitance and charge, C1 and Q1. The lower section has capacitance and charge, C2 and Q2. I know that Q1 + Q2 = Q and the same can be said for capacitance, because capacitances and charges add together when in parallel. Knowing that Q = CV, you can solve for the necessary variables.
thank you :D I also noticed this relationship :D I'm done now :D

Shiba Tatsuya said:
thank you :D I also noticed this relationship :D I'm done now :D
Glad I could help.

Related to What are the Individual Capacitor Charges and Voltage in a Circuit?

1. What is the difference between individual charges and voltage?

Individual charges refer to the amount of electric charge carried by a single particle, such as an electron or proton. Voltage, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric field. In other words, voltage is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How are individual charges and voltage related?

Individual charges and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the amount of individual charges increases, so does the voltage. Conversely, decreasing the amount of individual charges will result in a decrease in voltage.

3. What is the unit of measurement for individual charges and voltage?

The unit of measurement for individual charges is the Coulomb (C), while the unit for voltage is the Volt (V).

4. Can individual charges and voltage be negative?

Yes, both individual charges and voltage can be negative. This simply indicates that the charges or voltage are moving in the opposite direction of the conventionally chosen direction.

5. How does the presence of individual charges affect voltage in a circuit?

In a circuit, individual charges flow from an area of higher potential energy to an area of lower potential energy. As they flow, they create voltage and generate an electric current. Therefore, the amount and movement of individual charges directly impact the voltage in a circuit.