Induced Charged on a Grounded Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the total induced charge on a grounded conducting sphere of radius R_0 with a charge +q placed at z=3R_0. The resulting charge distribution is given as \sigma(z) = (-2q) / (pi*sqrt(R_0*(10R_0-6z)^3)), and an attempt is made to integrate 2*pi*sqrt(R_0^2-z^2)*\sigma(z)dz from -R_0 to R_0 to obtain Q. However, the integral cannot be solved and it is suggested that the charge distribution may be incorrect. The final solution is stated as Q=-q/3, with the note that the problem
Edward Candle
Homework Statement
A grounded conducting sphere of radius R_0 is centered at the origin. If we place a charge +q at z=3R_0, calculate the total induced charge Q on the sphere surface.
Relevant Equations
\sigma = -\epsilon_{zero} dV/dn(R=R_0)
I've come to the result (using cylindrical coordinates)
#\sigma (z) = (-2q) / (pi*sqrt(R_0*(10R_0-6z)^3) )#
and i tried to get #Q# by integrating #2*pi*sqrt(R_0^2-z^2)*\sigma(z)dz# from #-R_0# to #R_0#.
But i can't solve that integral. I tried solving it numerically with arbitrary values and it didn't make sense.
I figured it should be independent of #R_0#, and we should come to# Q=-q/3#...
Any help please? Am i integrating it wrong? Or is it that the charge distribution i got might be wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i nover posted before i thought if i wrote eqs in latex it would just come out right

The latex needs to be enclosed in pairs of hash symbols.
Please post your working.

Homework Statement:: A grounded conducting sphere of radius ##R_0## is centered at the origin. If we place a charge +q at ##z=3R_0##, calculate the total induced charge Q on the sphere surface.
Relevant Equations:: ##\sigma = -\epsilon_{zero} dV/dn(R=R_0)##
I've come to the result (using cylindrical coordinates)
##\sigma (z) = \frac{-2q} {\pi\sqrt{R_0(10R_0-6z)^3} }##
and i tried to get Q by integrating ##2\pi\sqrt{R_0^2-z^2}\sigma(z)dz ## from -##R_0 ## to ##R_0.##
we should come to Q=-q/3...

rude man said:
I'd go with spherical, not cylindrical, coordinates - if I tried to solve it via a coordinate system.
PS this is a trick question.
I wouldn't call it a trick question, but there is certainly an elegant solution. Almost a one-liner.

rude man said:
I would call it a trick question when most of the given data is irrelevant, which it is.
Are you referring to the "relevant equation"? I see nothing else irrelevant.

rude man said:
I'm referring to everything except. q.
Remember, the correct answer is given as -q/3 (with which I agree).

FAQ: Induced Charged on a Grounded Sphere

1. What is "Induced Charge" on a Grounded Sphere?

Induced charge on a grounded sphere refers to the redistribution of electric charge on the surface of a sphere when it is brought near a charged object. This redistribution is caused by the presence of an external electric field, which induces a separation of charge on the surface of the sphere.

2. How does the process of Induced Charge occur on a Grounded Sphere?

When a charged object is brought near a grounded sphere, the electrons in the sphere are attracted to the positively charged object, causing a separation of charge. This results in an excess of electrons on one side of the sphere and a deficit of electrons on the other side, creating an electric dipole moment.

3. What is the effect of grounding on Induced Charge?

Grounding a sphere means connecting it to a larger object with an infinite reservoir of charge, such as the Earth. This allows excess charge to flow to or from the sphere, neutralizing the induced charge and restoring the sphere to its original state.

4. How does the size of the sphere affect Induced Charge?

The size of the sphere does not have a significant effect on the amount of induced charge. However, a larger sphere will have a larger surface area for the charge to distribute on, resulting in a lower charge density compared to a smaller sphere.

5. What are some real-life applications of Induced Charge on a Grounded Sphere?

Induced charge on a grounded sphere is used in lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes. The rod is connected to the ground, allowing excess charge from the lightning strike to flow to the ground and prevent damage to the building. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from industrial exhaust gases.

Back