Induced emf in coil with decreasing current

In summary, a single-turn circular loop and a long solenoid are coaxial with each other, with the loop having a radius of 0.197 m and the solenoid having 1740 turns, a radius of 0.0410 m, and a length of 0.890 m. The solenoid current is changed from 6.81 A to 1.59 A in 0.225 s, and the induced emf in the circular loop is to be calculated. Since the field outside the solenoid is negligible, the flux through the loop can be found by integrating from 0 to 0.0410 m. This flux can then be used to find the induced emf by taking
kopinator
A single-turn circular loop of radius R = 0.197 m is coaxial with a long 1740 turn solenoid of radius 0.0410 m and length 0.890 m, as seen in the figure below. (picture in URL)

https://s1.lite.msu.edu/enc/53/3b1bdf0c981a37595901b92ecb54f3656dec7df3ca3110fe53633b89b58fff68fd1816c8653482ff3b80bfab04641cd9644c531bbf37ae59602796c87a446f0a53c5801a82918f44.gif

The variable resistor is changed so that the solenoid current decreases linearly from 6.81 A to 1.59 A in 0.225 s. Calculate the induced emf in the circular loop. (The field just outside the solenoid is small enough to be negligible.)

phi(flux)= ∫B*dA
ε= dphi/dt
A(circle)=∏r^2
B= N*mu_0_*I/L (solenoid)

I'm having troubles finding the flux through the loop. I tried taking the integral from .0410 to .197 m but I don't think that is right. I know once I get my flux integral i can take the flux at both currents, find the difference between the two, and divide by .225 s to find the induced emf. I just don't know what to integrate over.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that for a long (ideal) solenoid:
1. B is essentially uniform inside the solenoid
2. B is very weak outside the solenoid so that, to a good approximation, you can assume B = 0 outside the solenoid.

So would i only integrate from 0 to .0410 then?

kopinator said:
So would i only integrate from 0 to .0410 then?

Yes.

I would suggest using Faraday's Law to calculate the induced emf in the circular loop. Faraday's Law states that the induced emf in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. In this case, the magnetic flux through the loop is due to the changing magnetic field created by the solenoid.

To calculate the flux, we can use the formula phi = B*A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the area of the loop. Since the magnetic field just outside the solenoid is negligible, we can use the formula for the magnetic field inside a solenoid B = mu_0*N*I/L, where mu_0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current, and L is the length of the solenoid.

Now, to find the area of the loop, we can use the formula A = pi*R^2, where R is the radius of the loop. Plugging in the given values, we get A = pi*(0.197 m)^2 = 0.122 m^2.

So, the magnetic flux through the loop is phi = (mu_0*N*I/L)*A = (4*pi*10^-7 T*m/A)*(1740 turns)*(6.81 A)/(0.890 m)*(0.122 m^2) = 0.00000820 Wb.

To find the induced emf, we can use the formula epsilon = -dphi/dt. Since the current is decreasing linearly, we can use the average current, which is (6.81 A + 1.59 A)/2 = 4.20 A. So, the induced emf is epsilon = -(0.00000820 Wb)/(0.225 s) = -0.0000364 V.

Therefore, the induced emf in the circular loop with decreasing current is approximately 0.0000364 V.

Related to Induced emf in coil with decreasing current

What is induced emf in a coil with decreasing current?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, refers to the voltage generated in a coil when the current passing through it decreases. This phenomenon is known as self-inductance and is caused by the changing magnetic field around the coil.

How is induced emf calculated?

The induced emf in a coil can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. It can also be calculated using the formula Emf = -L(dI/dt), where L is the inductance of the coil and dI/dt is the rate of change of current.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced emf in a coil with decreasing current?

The magnitude of induced emf is affected by the rate of change of current, the number of turns in the coil, and the inductance of the coil. It is also affected by the shape and material of the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the circuit.

What is the direction of induced emf in a coil with decreasing current?

The direction of induced emf in a coil with decreasing current is always such that it opposes the change in current. This is known as Lenz's law and is a consequence of the conservation of energy.

What are some real-life applications of induced emf in a coil with decreasing current?

Induced emf in a coil with decreasing current is used in a variety of devices, such as transformers, generators, and motors. It is also used in electronic circuits to smooth out fluctuations in current and voltage, and in electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the functioning of many everyday objects, such as electric motors, appliances, and power grids.