Induced voltages in cables in trunking

In summary, the conversation discusses an insulation resistance test being conducted on a ring main circuit in an industrial workshop. The majority of the wiring is single core pvc cables run in metallic trunking and conduit, with no cpc present. When disconnecting the 2 phase and 2 neutral conductors, a voltage of approximately 50v to Earth is measured, which reduces to 6v when the mcb feeding a fluorescent lighting circuit is turned off. The possibility of the lighting circuit inducing a voltage on the ring circuit is considered, and the use of a high impedance meter is suggested. The speaker recommends using an analog meter with 1 kohm/volt sensitivity to test for capacitive coupling. The potential issue of crossed wires is
krislaine
I was carrying out a insulation resistance test on a ring main circuit at the dist board in an industrial workshop. The majority of the wiring is single core pvc cables run in metallic trunking and conduit. The majority of circuits have no cpc as the trunking/conduit is being used. When I disconnect the 2 phase and 2 neutral conductors I measure approx 50v to Earth on these conductors. This voltage reduces to around 6v when I turn off the mcb feeding a fluorescent lighting circuit (9 x twin 1500mm). Is the lighting circuit inducing a voltage on the ring circuit? Is this a problem and if so how do I overcome it?
The installation is approx 30 years old with numerous alterations and additions

Many Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likely capacitive coupling from conductors in same conduit?

What meter are you using?
A high impedance meter like a digital will scare you by indicating capacitively coupled voltage

try an old fashioned analog meter, preferably one with 1 kohm/volt sensitivity.
The $10 one from Walmart will do -
Put it right in parallel with your digital (i'm guessing hat's what you are using) and see if the reading drops a LOT.

If so that is probably your trouble, too good of a meter.
Used to be they specified what sensitivity meter to use. Does term "Kohms per volt" appear anywhere in your test specification?

Hopefully nobody has crossed wires on you. This test should tell.

Related to Induced voltages in cables in trunking

1. What is meant by "induced voltages" in cables in trunking?

"Induced voltages" refer to electrical voltages that are produced in cables by electromagnetic induction. These voltages are caused by changes in the magnetic field surrounding the cables, which can occur when the cables are placed in close proximity to other electrical or magnetic sources.

2. How do induced voltages affect cables in trunking?

Induced voltages can cause unwanted currents to flow through the cables, which can lead to issues such as interference, overheating, and damage to the cables and connected devices. These voltages can also disrupt the proper functioning of the electrical system in which the cables are installed.

3. What factors can contribute to induced voltages in cables?

The strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the distance between the cables and other electrical sources, and the material and construction of the cables and trunking can all impact the level of induced voltages. Additionally, the type of current flowing through the cables (AC or DC) can also affect the level of induced voltages.

4. How can induced voltages in cables be reduced or prevented?

There are several measures that can be taken to reduce or prevent induced voltages in cables. These include using shielded cables, installing ferrite cores or other electromagnetic shields, increasing the distance between the cables and other sources, and grounding the cables properly. Proper cable and trunking design can also minimize the effects of induced voltages.

5. What are the safety implications of induced voltages in cables?

Induced voltages can pose a safety hazard to individuals working with or near the cables. They can also cause damage to connected equipment and systems, leading to potential safety risks. It is important to properly address and mitigate induced voltages in order to ensure the safety and functionality of the electrical system.