Inductance Of A Solenoid Problem

In summary, the solenoid has 904 turns and an inductance of 0.00019 H. To find the inductance per meter at the center, divide the inductance by the length of the solenoid, resulting in a value of 0.0000001 H/m. Additionally, when calculating the area, use the radius of the solenoid rather than the radius of the wire.
pierretong

Homework Statement

A solenoid is wound with a single layer of insulated copper wire of diameter 2.100 mm and has a diameter of 3.000 cm and is 1.900 m long. Assume that adjacent wires touch and that insulation thickness is negligible.

a) How many turns are on the solenoid?
Solved: determined to be 904

b)What is the inductance per meter (H/m) for the solenoid near its center?

Homework Equations

Inductance = (constant mu0)* (N^2)*A / l

mu0 = 4*PI*10^-7
N = 904 turns
A = PI*R^2 (R = 2.100 mm/2)
l = length of solenoid = 1.900 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugged all those variables above (converted R to meters) and got 0.00019 for the inductance.

I don't understand what it means to find the Inductance per Meter at the center of the solenoid? Do I have to divide by 1.900 m again? Confused as to what I'm supposed to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi pierretong! :smile:
pierretong said:
I don't understand what it means to find the Inductance per Meter at the center of the solenoid? Do I have to divide by 1.900 m again?

yes, your formula µN2A/l gives the inductance of the whole solenoid

so divide by l again for the inductance per metre :wink:

(if you cut the solenoid into x pieces, then for one piece N2 would be 1/x2, so N2/l would be 1/x)

see also http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/indcur.html#c2 and http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/indsol.html

pierretong said:

Homework Statement

A solenoid is wound with a single layer of insulated copper wire of diameter 2.100 mm and has a diameter of 3.000 cm and is 1.900 m long. Assume that adjacent wires touch and that insulation thickness is negligible.

a) How many turns are on the solenoid?
Solved: determined to be 904

b)What is the inductance per meter (H/m) for the solenoid near its center?

Homework Equations

Inductance = (constant mu0)* (N^2)*A / l

mu0 = 4*PI*10^-7
N = 904 turns
A = PI*R^2 (R = 2.100 mm/2)
l = length of solenoid = 1.900 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugged all those variables above (converted R to meters) and got 0.00019 for the inductance.

I don't understand what it means to find the Inductance per Meter at the center of the solenoid? Do I have to divide by 1.900 m again? Confused as to what I'm supposed to do.

Check the area calculation. You want the cross sectional area of the solenoid, so which radius should you use?

FAQ: Inductance Of A Solenoid Problem

1. What is the formula for calculating the inductance of a solenoid?

The formula for calculating the inductance of a solenoid is L = μN^2A/l, where L is the inductance in henrys (H), μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and l is the length of the solenoid.

2. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect its inductance?

The inductance of a solenoid is directly proportional to the square of the number of turns. This means that increasing the number of turns will increase the inductance, while decreasing the number of turns will decrease the inductance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). It is named after Joseph Henry, a scientist who made significant contributions to the study of electromagnetism.

4. How does the cross-sectional area of a solenoid affect its inductance?

The inductance of a solenoid is directly proportional to the cross-sectional area. This means that increasing the cross-sectional area will increase the inductance, while decreasing the cross-sectional area will decrease the inductance.

5. Can the inductance of a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the inductance of a solenoid can be changed by altering the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, or the length of the solenoid. It can also be changed by using different materials with different permeabilities.