Inductance of Multilayer Solenoid

In summary, the user is looking for a reliable formula or calculator to accurately calculate the inductance of a multilayer solenoid. They have tried various formulas and online calculators but have found discrepancies in the results. They are specifically interested in a formula for multilayer coils with a few layers and certain dimensions. Another user suggests checking out a document and purchasing a book that contains tables and formulas for inductance calculations. The user is advised to specify core material, topology, and frequency of operation to get a more accurate answer.
Fischer777
I've been looking for a good formula to calculate the inductance of a multilayer solenoid within about 10% accuracy or greater. I've used several formulas derived from Wheeler's formula, as well as a few online calculators, however, my results seem to differ wildly depending on what formula or calculator I use. I'm wondering if anyone has a formula or calculator for multilayer coils consisting of only a few layers that they've found works well. If it helps the wire is .225 millimeters in diameter, the coils are less than 2 cm long with maybe 2 or three layers, and the diameter of the tubing is 5 millimeters.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fischer777 said:
I've been looking for a good formula to calculate the inductance of a multilayer solenoid within about 10% accuracy or greater.
The inductance will be critically dependent on the core material, core topology and frequency of operation.
Until those three parameters are specified it will be impossible to answer the question.

Get a copy of that book. It is essential and cheap new, with free postage. US$15.
http://www.bookdepository.com/Induc...nt=Inductance-Calculations&selectCurrency=AUD

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

FAQ: Inductance of Multilayer Solenoid

1. What is the definition of inductance?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of an electrical circuit or component to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of henries (H).

2. How is inductance calculated for a multilayer solenoid?

The inductance of a multilayer solenoid can be calculated using the following formula: L = μN²A/l, where μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and l is the length of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a multilayer solenoid?

The inductance of a multilayer solenoid is affected by factors such as the number of turns, the permeability of the material, the cross-sectional area, and the length of the solenoid. Additionally, the presence of a ferromagnetic core or nearby conductive materials can also impact the inductance.

4. How does inductance impact the behavior of a multilayer solenoid?

Inductance affects the behavior of a multilayer solenoid by determining how much energy can be stored in the magnetic field. This, in turn, affects the strength of the magnetic field and how quickly it will reach maximum strength when a current is applied. It also plays a role in determining the impedance and resonant frequency of the solenoid.

5. How can the inductance of a multilayer solenoid be changed?

The inductance of a multilayer solenoid can be changed by altering the physical dimensions of the solenoid, such as the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, and the length. Additionally, using a different material with a different permeability or adding a ferromagnetic core can also change the inductance.