Induction, proving function divisible by 8

Try to learn them correctly.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if n is an odd integer, then n^2-1 is divisible by 8. The attempt at a solution involves using an inductive proof, and the participants discuss the steps needed to prove the statement for n+1. The solution involves separating the known true part from the induction hypothesis and showing that the combination is true. The conversation also touches on the difference between a statement and a predicate, with the conclusion that (2k+1)^2-1 is an expression, not a predicate.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Prove if n is an odd integer then n^2 - 1 is divisible by 8

The Attempt at a Solution

I already set up the whole inductive step and everything but I am trying to prove it works for n+1, here is what I have so far...
n=2k+1
((2k+1)+1)^2 - 1 = 4k^2 + 8k + 3 = 8m
Where k and m are arbitrary integers.
What do I do from here to get it in the form 8m? I can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

Prove if n is an odd integer then n^2 - 1 is divisible by 8

The Attempt at a Solution

I already set up the whole inductive step and everything but I am trying to prove it works for n+1, here is what I have so far...
n=2k+1
((2k+1)+1)^2 - 1 = 4k^2 + 8k + 3 = 8m
Where k and m are arbitrary integers.
What do I do from here to get it in the form 8m? I can't figure it out.
2k+1 is an odd integer.

The next odd integer is 2(k+1)+1 = 2k + 3 .

Last edited:
Then it's 4k^2 + 12k + 8 ...that whole function can't be put in the form 8m as I see it there

Panphobia said:
Then it's 4k^2 + 12k + 8 ...that whole function can't be put in the form 8m as I see it there

Do you know how to do an inductive proof ?

I know how to do an inductive proof in some settings, but ones like this, not really. In class my professor did something with a similar question, he added the most random term, then subtracted it, and everything worked out. But I can't figure out what to do for this one.

Panphobia said:
I know how to do an inductive proof in some settings, but ones like this, not really. In class my professor did something with a similar question, he added the most random term, then subtracted it, and everything worked out. But I can't figure out what to do for this one.
What do you assume for the inductive step?

For all k in 0..(+infinity) ((2k+1)^2 -1) mod 8 = 0

Panphobia said:
For all k in 0..(+infinity) ((2k+1)2 -1) mod 8 = 0

If it's true for all k, then there's nothing to prove.

Assume that for some positive integer k, ((2k+1)^2 -1) mod 8 = 0 .

Of course that means that there is an integer, m, such that ((2k+1)2 -1) = 8m​

Now with that assumption, you need to show that it follows that ((2k+3)^2 -1) mod 8 = 0 .

Right ?

Yea, I understand all of that. Am I supposed to use P(2k+1), in some way with P(2k+3), where P(2k+1) is the unary predicate, "((2k+1)^2-1)"

Last edited:
I think I figured it out, so we assume that P(2k+1) is true, so to prove P(2(k+1)+1), P(2k+1) has to show up somewhere, since P(2k+1) is defined as 4k^2 + 4k = 8m that means P(2(k+1)+1) = 4k^2 + 12k + 8 = 4k^2 +4(3k+2), which is in the form, 4k^2 + 4k, so is that proof enough?

Panphobia said:
I think I figured it out, so we assume that P(2k+1) is true, so to prove P(2(k+1)+1), P(2k+1) has to show up somewhere, since P(2k+1) is defined as 4k^2 + 4k = 8m that means P(2(k+1)+1) = 4k^2 + 12k + 8 = 4k^2 +4(3k+2), which is in the form, 4k^2 + 4k, so is that proof enough?

No, but you're getting warmer. You have 4k^2+4k is divisible by 8. Now you want to conclude 4k^2+12k+8 is also divisible by 8. What's the difference between the two?

Do you need to use induction? This is actually very easy to prove without it.

Oh my...it was staring at my the entire time, split up the 12k, so its 4k^2 + 4k + 8k + 8, by definition 4k^2 + 4k is divisible by 8, but 8k + 8, is also divisible by 8. I am 99% sure this is the right answer.

Panphobia said:
Oh my...it was staring at my the entire time, split up the 12k, so its 4k^2 + 4k + 8k + 8, by definition 4k^2 + 4k is divisible by 8, but 8k + 8, is also divisible by 8. I am 99% sure this is the right answer.

I'm 100% sure.

Likes 1 person
Thanks alot, now I know exactly what I am supposed to do in induction.

Panphobia said:
Thanks alot, now I know exactly what I am supposed to do in induction.

Yeah, separate the part you know is true from the induction hypothesis from the part you don't know does and show the combination is true.

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
Yea, I understand all of that. Am I supposed to use P(2k+1), in some way with P(2k+3), where P(2k+1) is the unary predicate, "((2k+1)^2-1)"

"((2k+1)^2-1)" is not a predicate, unary or otherwise.

Well then obviously my professor has been mistaken, because that was the exact line from a slide he had.

From the wikipedia page on Predicates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_predicate)
Informally, a predicate is a statement that may be true or false depending on the values of its variables.[1] It can be thought of as an operator or function that returns a value that is either true or false.

Mathematically, (2k + 1)2 - 1 is an expression that has a value that depends on the value of k. It is not a statement that is either true or false. An example of a statement might be something like "(2k + 1)2 - 1 is divisible by 3".

I should add that in your other thread about proofs by contradiction, you said "prove a statement like ##\sqrt{2}## by contradiction". You are not using the terms statement and predicate correctly. Whatever textbook you're using should have definitions of these terms.

Last edited:

Related to Induction, proving function divisible by 8

What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves using previously proven cases to prove a general statement or property.

What does it mean to prove a function divisible by 8?

Proving a function divisible by 8 means showing that the function outputs a value that is a multiple of 8, meaning it can be divided evenly by 8 without leaving a remainder.

Why is it important to prove a function divisible by 8?

Proving a function divisible by 8 is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions and conclusions about the behavior of the function, and it can also lead to the discovery of new mathematical properties and relationships.

What is the role of induction in proving a function divisible by 8?

Induction is the main proof technique used to prove a function divisible by 8. It involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable cases and using the previously proven cases to prove the general statement for all cases.

What are some real-world applications of proving a function divisible by 8?

Proving a function divisible by 8 has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to design efficient algorithms, analyze data structures, and understand the behavior of physical systems.

Back